Monday, October 10, 2016

CIM WEEK 10 of 18: Train kept a-rollin'... (+ free shoes!)


Grand Total: 57 miles

    * 21.25 easy
    * 7.5 speed
    * 8.25 race pace
    * 20 long with fast finish (...ish)

Week 10 definitely goes in the "win" column. I ran all the miles (basically) as written and didn't make my knee worse, including in some ways the easiest 20-miler I can remember. It's been my biggest training week so far this cycle and frankly one of my biggest in *years*, and a big boost of confidence to know that I can handle several long, tough workouts in the same week and not end up with completely dead legs.

It was also great to get to hang out with these ladies this weekend. (Thanks Cat, Jen, & Jess for letting me crash on the floor of your AirBnB so I didn't have to drive up at 3am!!)

We talked a little about race goals this weekend which reminded me that I haven't really said much about my time goal for CIM, and the reason for that is that I don't really have one. I mean, I have wishes. There are times I believe are highly probable IF I'm able to do the rest of my training well and IF I have a good day come December 4. But there is only so much I can control, so my plan is just to do the training, trust that that will put me in the best possible shape, & run a smart race.

And speaking of running a smart race, I do have a new non-time goal. Apparently New Balance is partnering with Strava to give away a pair of shoes to anyone who negative splits a USATF-certified marathon in the U.S.--recorded on Strava, of course--between October 9 and December 4, 2016--"The Back Half Challenge." Somehow that seems a little less daunting than a time goal.

* * *

Monday 10/3: Rest

Tuesday 10/4: 2 warm-up, 10 x 1K @ 10K pace / 200m jog, 2 cool down = 11.5 total.

Wednesday 10/5: a.m. strength work / afternoon 4 easy / p.m. karate. Clearly still fatigued from the speed work, but feeling MUCH better than on most of my Wednesday runs! #woefulwednesday

Thursday 10/6: 8 easy. I can tell I've been slacking on strength work or karate or both because I was SORE on Thursday in the shoulders & abs. My run was typical for a Thursday, in that it started off feeling kind of clunky & blah, but by the end I felt pretty good. My heart rate was weirdly high for some of my first runs post-knee drama, so I was pleased to see it finally return to normal.

Friday 10/7: a.m. strength work / 2.5 warm up, 6 x 2K @ HM pace / 1:30 jog, 2.75 cool down = 13.5 total

Saturday 10/8: Rest/drive to Healdsburg

Sunday 10/9: 6.9 easy + Healdsburg Half Marathon = 20 long (Race Report coming soon)

But now: Bedtime.

* * *

CIM 2016 Week 1 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 2 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 3 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 4 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 5 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 6 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 7 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 8 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 9 of 18

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your knee is better... your training looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hang out this weekend! 57 miles = #beastmode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool contest - not that I've EVER negative split a marathon, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only one giddy with excitement over the New Balance free shoes offer. My training for this cycle has me set up to run a negative split marathon. I think I have only done this once in my life. Who doesn't love free shoes?

    ReplyDelete