Monday, August 29, 2016

CIM WEEK 4 of 18: 18/day, 47.5/week, 205.5/month.

This Sunday was kind of exciting as RunningAhead informed me that my 18 mile long run put me at 205.5 miles for the last 30 days. Not an all-time record, but it's been quite a while since I broke the 200 barrier for a 30-day period! (I think I'll be just a few miles shy of it for the month of August, just because of how the days fall. Not that I'm counting because who does that.)

Grand Total: 47.46 miles + 1:00:00 strength

    * 16 easy
    * 7.4 speed
    * 6.06 tempo
    * 18 long

    Monday 8/22: a.m. strength/p.m. karate. As I mentioned last week, Week 4 was not a good one for consistent strength training. I've planned to be in the gym lifting Monday, Wednesday, & Friday mornings, but 8/19-21 was a long weekend out of town & I got to bed later than intended, so this time an extra hour of sleep won out over the gym.

    Tuesday 8/23: 2 warm up, 3 x 800m @ 5K pace / 2:00 jog, 30:00 @ marathon pace, 3 x 800m @ 5K pace / 2:00 jog, 2 cool down = 11.4 total. Bitchin'.

    Wednesday 8/24: a.m. strength/p.m karate

    Thursday 8/25: 8 easy. Last week's post-speed "easy" runs definitely did not feel very easy, so I was happy that this one actually felt okay.

    Friday 8/26: a.m. strength work / p.m. 2 warm up, 50:00 @ marathon pace, 2 cool down = 10.06 total

    Once again, I planned to lift Friday morning but woke up with my lower back feeling like someone had taken a baseball bat to it. One emergency sports massage later, it was feeling not 100% but significantly better. Running didn't seem to bother it that much so I went ahead with my run as planned.

    This workout was not god-awful (I did complete the whole thing at a completely within-expectations pace & heart rate, pausing only for traffic lights in the Park + 1 water stop), but it was definitely MUCH harder than the 11.4 mile speed workout three days prior.

    Saturday 8/27: Rest. A friend of Don's was visiting from Austrailia, so we took him on a hike of Land's End/Sutro Baths. One of the nearby beaches is known for people making stacks of rocks, & their immediate reaction was, "How can we win at this?"

    Sunday 8/28: 18 long.

    I did not expect to be running 18 miles a week before my 10K, but there it was on the schedule, so I dutifully went out & did it. My legs felt heavy & tired from the very beginning, but stayed strong the whole way, & I actually think my last few miles were the fastest ones. It was not fast and far be it from me to ever call 18 miles "easy," but it was for sure among the easier 18 milers I've done, which is encouraging.

Now, time for a bit of a cut-back week before next week's 10K in San Jose. :)

* * *

CIM 2016 Week 1 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 2 of 18

CIM 2016 Week 3 of 18

2 comments:

  1. Ouch - any idea what happened to your back? Nice work on the 18 miler, and that is an impressive...stack of rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea! I really wish I knew so I could never do it again. D:

      Delete