Monday, August 8, 2016

CIM WEEK 1 of 18: It's on.

I suppose when I start actually counting down weeks toward a race is pretty arbitrary (and to be completely honest, I'm not even sure why I do it except to entertain myself). Originally I thought, "Eh, I'll start when I add speed & tempo runs," but this was such a great week capped by such a great long run & first of the cycle that I kind of just said "Screw it, let's do this."


Question: Do I ever get tired of this view, or of marking long runs by
posting pictures of it? Answer: No. No, I do not.

Grand Total: 46 total miles, all easy, + 2:00:00 strength work

    Monday 8/1: a.m. strength/p.m. karate

    Tuesday 8/2: 8 easy

    Wednesday 8/3: a.m. strength work/afternoon 4 easy/p.m. karate

    Thursday 8/4: 10 easy

    Friday 8/5: a.m. strength/p.m. 8 easy.

    Thursday night a friend was in town for his birthday, and I may have stayed out a bit later & had maybe more cocktails than initially planned. Since I'd already planned to work from home on Friday, I skipped morning strength work in favor of extra sleep & did part of the workout (the easy part) at home later in the afternoon.


    Being social with non-runners for once. I know; I am shocked as well.

    Saturday 8/6: Rest

    Sunday 8/7: 16 long.

    I don't know why 15 is the dividing line in my brain between medium/longer-ish runs and true long runs. Maybe it's because 13-14 miles is still in the realm of things that can show up as workouts mid-week during peak training, but 15 would be crazy talk. Anyway, this run felt like my first real long run of this training cycle, but also, weirdly, was one of the easiest long runs I can remember. Almost always if a run is 16+ miles there will come a point where it feels at least a little tougher in a way that weekday 8-10 mile runs never do, but this time I finished feeling not appreciably different than I do after shorter weekday runs. (Also, I kind of kept forgetting it happened. Like later that night I kept thinking, "Why do I feel so tired? Oh, right." I know it's only week 1 but I'm taking it as a good sign.



Exciting training plans????
What do you count as a *real* long run?
What do you count as the *real* start of a training cycle?

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!
    I don't plan on "starting" CIM training for a couple of weeks. I think what counts as the real start of training is pretty arbitrary - mostly a mindset, I think.

    ReplyDelete