Monday, August 15, 2022

Road Warrior Kitchen: Tacos Edition + One Week to Giant Race!

Just one more week until The Giant Race 10K!

This week was once again a little odd because we spend the weekend camping with a *different* group of friends. Why? Frankly, because we both love camping and are really terrible at actually planning it, so our strategy is mostly to sidle up to other friends we know like camping and are better at planning, talk about how much we like camping, and then glom on to the group camping trips that *they* plan. It's working out pretty well tbh, so I've got no real plans to do anything differently.

Each couple/family on this particular trip took on one meal to prepare for the group, so we made build-your-own tacos for Saturday night. We made everything except the guac at home in advance so that the only thing we had to do at the campsite was heat up the ingredients & set them out.

Too busy having fun to take photos during the camping trip it so please enjoy this documentation of me crushing an entire head of garlic to make carnitas for Saturday night camp dinner

Now. People will talk shit about the instant pot & how it's only for people who don't actually cooking, but I humbly submit to you that I like cooking AND ALSO love the instant pot for those times when you just need something done fast. If you enjoy carnitas & have an instant pot, just trust me, you need this recipe in your life. (We skip the pineapple salsa & usually make this slaw from Sea Forager instead.) You are welcome. 

The other thing we made meat-wise was Tacolicious's shot and a beer braised chicken, which is also delicious and gets made in the instant pot, but it takes a bit longer than the carnitas due to making and reducing a dried pepper mixture before it all goes in the pot. In my opinion it's 100% worth the time because you can make like six pounds of chicken taco filling and freeze it, but it's probably not what you want to make for random Tuesday night dinner. (Once you've got six pounds of it frozen, though? Tuesday night dinner is a BREEZE.)

The trouble with camping is that I never sleep super great, so by the time we headed home late Sunday morning, I wasn't feeling even remotely ready to bust out a 15 mile long run with HM pace intervals. Basically I unloaded the car, ate some lunch, & crashed for a solid two hours or so, BUT after that I was ready to rock & roll!

Now, a habit I have is looking over my workouts for the week & then assuming on the day of that I've correctly remembered what I'm supposed to do. For example in my mind that run was 7 easy, 4 x (8:00 HM pace/3:00 jog), 3 cool down. It was mostly fine, though that last interval started to get REAL hard towards the end. 

When I got home and looked at the calendar again I realized it was actually *three* 8-minute HM pace intervals, not four, so no wonder that last one got a bit tough. OOPS. 🤷🏻‍♀️


 ~*~*~The Giant Race 10K Week 8 of 9~*~*~

Grand Total:  40 miles

    * 32.1 easy
    * 2.8 speed
    * 5.1 tempo/threshold

Monday 8/8: Rest

Tuesday 8/9: 6 easy. Soooo tired on this day from camping over the weekend, a research retreat Monday & Tuesday, & not a ton of sleep as a result. I hoped a Tuesday afternoon nap would fix this but no. Very much a 🐌🐌🐌 run.

Wednesday 8/10: 2.2 warm up, 10 x 1:00 hill strides/jog back down, 3 cool down = 8 total. Are hill strides my favorite? No, friend, they absolutely ARE NOT. 🤮

Thursday 8/11: 1 hour strength + 7 easy. I don't love stacking strength and running *right* on top of each other because inevitably I end up running on jello legs. But some days leave you with little choice. 🤣🤣

Friday 8/12: 4 easy. I think I used up all my energy on Thursday because these four miles were some of the slowest and sloggiest I've run in *quite* a while!

Saturday 8/13: Rest, other than a leisurely three-mile hike in the Santa Cruz mountains. Can you believe we did camping with friends two I said *two* weekends in a row? Heck yeah we did. 🏕️

Sunday 8/14: Long run workout - 7 easy, 4 x (8:00 HM effort / 3:00 jog), 2.9 cool down = 15 total.

 

One more big workout this week, & then I'm just going to try to relax & rest up before Sunday's 10K. :)

 

Past Training Journals:

No comments:

Post a Comment