Sunday, July 3, 2022

40+ miles & feeling good + 8 Weeks to Giant Race!

Week 2 is in the books!

As I mentioned last week, the Road Warrior got back to #roadwarrioring this week with a five-day work trip to inland Southern California where it was 112F in the shade, BOOOO. 

In the past when I've been down there for this project I haven't usually pushed myself to complete workouts necessarily & mostly just tried to fit in whatever miles I could on the hotel treadmill. I have a lot of travel this summer, though, so I wanted to try my best to try to do the workouts as/when assigned. I know it can be done, it just takes a little more planning than I've sometimes had the bandwidth for in the past.

I got up early-ish to get my Week 1 long run in last Sunday before heading to the airport, then had a rest day on Monday, & then Tuesday & Wednesday made it my goal to get on the 'mill and get the day's run done before dinner. (Post-dinner means waiting for food to digest, then running, then pretty much immediately getting ready for bed, which doesn't usually work super well for me.)

Running pretty much right after getting back to the hotel after work is done for the day is no picnic either as that's typically *right* at my peak exhaustion window for the day, but in all honestly just putting on the clothes on, going down to the fitness center, getting on the 'mill, and hitting start is the hardest part; more often than not, it's downhill from there in terms of mental effort.

All in all, 41.25 miles for the week, which is the most I've run in a week since April, and it felt good!


*~*~The Giant Race 10K Week 2 of 9~*~*~

Grand Total: 41.25 miles

    * 18.18 easy
    * 4.75 speed
    * 4.32 tempo/threshold
    * 14 long

Monday 6/27: Rest

Tuesday 6/28: 2 warm up, 5 x 1200m / 2:00 jog, 2 cool down = 8.75 total. Traveling this week so I did this one on the hotel treadmill. Like a lot of people I think I don't *love* treadmill runs but if I have to do one, I'd much rather do an interval run than an easy run of the same distance! A) It legitimately does take less time than an easy run because you're running faster, and B) the harder effort and variety of the intervals and recoveries makes it feel like less of a slog. It was only supposed to be four 1200m's but somehow after I read the workout it turned into five in my brain. So I ran five, and it was fine. Oh well!

Wednesday 6/29: 6 easy. Just an easy recovery run on the 'mill.

Thursday 6/30: Rest. I had a very long work day Thursday including a plane trip home, so I swapped the short easy run with my Saturday rest day. #roadwarrioring

Friday 7/1: 2.85 warm up, 2 @ tempo / 3:00 jog, 1 @ tempo / 3:00 jog, 3 x 1:00 fast/1:00 jog, 2.33 cool down = 9.5. A cold, windy run back in SF, very welcome after spending most of the week in 100F+ SoCal heat!

Saturday 7/2: 3 easy. Just a little recovery jaunt before dinner.

Sunday 7/3: 14 long on a perfect day! Last week finishing 12 miles was a slog, but this week's 14 mostly flew by. It was bright and sunny but not too hot and with a cool breeze, lots of folks out celebrating the long weekend in SF and Golden Gate Park, and I felt good the whole time. More runs like this please! 😎


Past Training Journals:





No comments:

Post a Comment