I also ditched a race I was planning to run, thanks to a combination of not feeling great and being really busy on Saturday and having not signed up ahead of time. As I said on the facebooks, this fall was supposed to be #fallspeedfest but instead it's kind of turned into #falllazyfest as I have bailed on the last two races I kinda-sorta said I would run because I didn't bother signing up ahead of time so if you're already not feeling so great, it's an easier call to wuss out.
So, on Sunday night I got off my ass and actually registered for the three remaining 5Ks I have on my race calendar--OktobeRun (Redwood City 10/28), Oakland Turkey Trot (Oakland 11/22), and Silicon Valley Santa Run (San Jose 12/16 - a rare afternoon race!). I am definitely much more likely to actually woman up and go run if the money is already spent.
Speaking of money already spent, this coming week is RNR San Jose Race Week! I would say I've had decent but not phenomenal training and would just be pleased to come within spitting distance of my 2017 time of 1:41:07. I didn't think my training was particularly good last year but I ran a heck of a race considering I had an asthma attack in the middle of it. So perhaps there's hope for running another heck of a race and also not having an asthma attack?!?!?
We shall see...
Grand Total: 27 miles
- * 23.32 easy
* 3.68 speed
Monday 9/24: Karate.
Tuesday 9/25: 3.6 warm up, 4 x 5:00 @ 5K pace, 3.6 cool down = 11 total
- Call me crazy but I was actually looking forward to this workout. Time was, if I ran at 5K effort for 5:00 minutes I could nail exactly .75 miles with freakish consistency. Not quite back there yet but we're making progress. All three of these were between .7 and .72 miles I think, for an average ~6:53 pace, and the effort did not feel insane. Now if I could actually go out and run a for-real 5K at that pace? You have no idea how thrilled I'd be. I don't think I've run a 5K at that pace since maybe 2012.
Wednesday 9/26: Karate.
6 easy Rest/feel terrible.
- Talk about de ja vu. Once again I had to fly to Southern California, once again I had an easy run scheduled for the afternoon, and once again I felt absolutely terrible. I woke up with a headache & it never went away all day. So, once again, I decided to get up early & do it the next morning.
Rest 6 easy
- Thankfully I was able to get to sleep early on Thursday, so getting up at 5am was not as awful as it could have been. 6 easy on the hotel treadmill, then flying home late.
6 easy Rest/do house stuff
- This was the run I just flat didn't do. I was still not feeling well and we were also busy at home with some projects & social things. Could I have maybe-possibly shoe-horned it in? Technically yes. But, I didn't, and I think it's probably okay.
Sunday 9/30: 10 easy.
- Ie, the taper week "long" run. I'd tentatively planned to run another PA XC race up in Marin but again, with the whole feeling not-great on Saturday and also staying up later than I should have and you have a recipe for "Eh, I didn't actually sign up for it, eh." I kind of regret that. I don't know if it would have been the best choice a week before a half but it would have been fun.
RNR SJ, I am coming for you!
Almost one year ago exactly...