Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Fall Speedfest, Week 5 of 18 #notracing

When I go on long runs, I get to see windmills. #goldengatepark #oceanbeach
I know my training journals as of late are boring and lame and I am sorry. It's been busy lately & it's all I can do to even pay attention to what my workouts are & note that I did them.

I was supposed to run a 5K this past Sunday & even went online to finally sign up for it last Wednesday. But then I noticed that between the internet service fee & $10 to have my bib mailed (sooooo not driving to Alameda from SF to attend an "expo" for a 5K), it would actually be cheaper to just sign up the morning of, in spite of the fact that the race price would have gone up by $5.

For better or worse, that meant that when I ended up feeling kind of sick & exhausted Saturday night, I was waaaaaay less motivated to still go run it. I laid in bed feeling like I was maybe coming down with something, going back and forth as to whether I should set my alarm for 5:30am & just go suck it up for 20-22 minutes. In the end it just didn't seem worth it (particularly the $55 for a 5K part) & instead I pulled the blankets over my head & opted for some extra sleep.

I didn't feel great in the morning but at least no longer felt like I was getting sick. So instead of a 5K race it was 14 easy miles through Golden Gate Park (as per usual). Ah well; another long run in the bank for RNR San Jose Half, which I kind of keep forgetting I'm running in a couple weeks.

On the other hand, my speed workouts have been pretty decent from a sheer speed standpoint. I am running 200m's faster and with less effort than in the past, if only by a bit. The one real downside of not racing the 5K this past weekend was that I don't have a benchmark for how things were going to compare to RTTEOS. I might run another XC race this weekend, but while those are fun, they're not really great for fitness benchmarks unless you have a mark on the same course to compare it to.

~*~*~ Fall '18 Speedfest: Week 5 of 18 ~*~*~

Grand Total: 43 miles
    * 25 easy
    * 4 speed
    * 14 long

Monday 9/10: Karate.

Tuesday 9/11: 3.5 warm up, 4 x 200m / 200m jog, 2 @ MP/AT pace, 4 x 200m / 200m jog, 3.5 cool down = 11 total.

    Usually I prefer jogging to the track (~3.5 miles), doing my workout, & jogging home. It's an easy way to get a less boring warm-up & cool down in & also boost the slow, easy mileage a bit. It also makes the track workouts feel quicker, since when I get there I can jump right into drills & then the workout, & head home as soon as I'm done.

    I didn't *really* want to do it this day, though, because I was still a bit achey from the XC race & didn't feel like I necessarily needed to pack on the extra mileage. I totally would have just driven to the track and done a 1.5 mile warm-up as prescribed in the workout, except it turned out Don needed the car that day, so barring ridiculous things like taking car service to the track and back (uh, yuck, who wants my sweaty post-speedwork ass in their car) or trying to run 200m's on the local sidewalks (NO), I had to jog it.

    And, it was actually fine. My legs felt sore and heavy so I wasn't sure what I was going to be able to do with 200m's. The magic still seems to be there, though; while I didn't run any effortless 0:40's, I DID run them all in the 0:42-45 range at what felt like a very appropriate (ie not hammering things) effort level. The two AT miles (a little slower than marathon pace) in the middle started out pretty easy but got surprisingly hard towards the end. The 200m's after that were a little harder, but not much. I still ran them all between 0:42-0:45.

Wednesday 9/12: Karate.

Thursday 9/13: 10 easy

Friday 9/14: 8 easy

Saturday 9/15: Rest/football game.

    The game was at 11, but we tailgated after & didn't get home until around 6:30pm. I really hadn't done much all day besides sit around and eat but for some reason when we got home I was absolutely exhausted & fell asleep at 7:30. I woke around 10 feeling really awful & at that moment I decided I was NOT getting up at 5:30am to drive to Alameda & pay $55 for a 5K I hadn't signed up for yet. Not sorry.

Sunday 9/16: 3.1 warm up + 3.1 race! Boring old 14 mile long run.

    Man, my legs were tired on this run. I felt done around mile 8. At one point I thought I had two miles left but it was three and I almost cried because I really wanted to be doing anything else at that moment. But I got through it.

Traveling this next week, so getting in workouts could be....interesting....

=~*=~*=~*=~*=~*=~*=~*

Fall Speedfest, Week 4 of 18

Fall Speedfest, Week 3 of 18: Crazy Race Anxiety Dreams

Fall Speedfest, Week 2 of 18: trendy strava ennui

Fall Speedfest, Week 1 of 18: Let the Fall Season Commence!

1 comment:

  1. I'm all signed up for Garin, too. I've heard it's one of the hardest courses on the circuit so...yippee? Glad you didn't end up getting sick!

    ReplyDelete