So I did it.
I broke my no-triple-digits shoe-buying rule.
I did it for these bad boys.
But, I humbly submit that I did it for some good reasons (or at least some vaguely defensible ones).
1) I've heard great things about Newtons from many, many trusted sources.
2) I'm still searching for a go-to pair of light-weight trainers / longer-distance racing shoes & I've had my eye on these guys for a while now. (A 7.7 ounce stability shoe? The hell you say.)
3) I've accepted that I'm never going to get to try them for truly cheap.
4) The new model recently came out, so the price has come down a little on this one (the older model).
5) I get 10% off the sale price at Roadrunner Sports, & by some miracle they had exactly three pairs left in my size (the only size, as you can see, between 6.5 & 10.5). Holy timing, Batman! That never happens.
6) I had a coupon for an additional 10% off, bringing the price down to ~$120ish (+ tax).
7) I had lots of contracts this spring & have lots more coming this summer, so I feel less bad than usual about a little splurge.
Even with the excellent references that these guys come with, I just can't bring myself to pay $175 for a pair of shoes I haven't tried, but if the older model works out well & I really like them, I'd be willing to consider it in the future. They should be here by the time we get back from Yosemite, so hopefully I'll get to take them for a spin on Friday or Saturday. I'll try & get you a review in a few weeks. :)