Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Stacking Solid Weeks (& avoiding overtraining...)

Christmas Relays Team 246 (minus one)!
Happy holiday season, friends! I hope you are doing well and getting some time for rest and relaxation.

I'd still count this most recent week as "solid," but will *also* admit that I probably got a bit overexciting when my calf stopped seizing up and overdid the miles. (Jumping from a month+ at ~10 miles/week or so to 28.5 is something my 31-year-old self could get away with; my 41-year-old self, on the other hand, maybe not so much.) Plus there was "racing" two events in two weeks when my body is very, very, VERY much not in racing shape. I'm still feeling healthy and injury-free (🙌), but my body and mind have been absolutely ***exhausted*** this week, I've slept over nine hours on several consecutive nights, and my numbers in the gym (even upper body stuff) have completely fallen off a cliff.

My strength coach has informed me that this proooooobably indicates a mild case of overtraining (or what the fitness pros refer to as "nonfunctional overreaching") these past two weeks, to the extent that it's causing central nervous system fatigue (hence why all my lifting has been poopy and not just leg stuff). This is not a huge deal but apparently it does indicate that I haven't been fully recovering from what I've been putting my body through, even though I've been getting plenty of sleep and food.

But hey, it's the holidays, so great timing I guess??? We are heading out to Spokane this week so I'll definitely have time to get plenty of sleep and a break from work & the grind of daily life.


 ~*~*~ Week of 12/12-12/18 ~*~*~

Grand Total: 22.5 miles

    * 15.2 easy
    * 2.8 speed
    * 4.5 race

Monday 12/12: Rest.

Tuesday 12/13: 1 hour strength + 4 easy. Towards the end of this one I started feeling a bit achey in the lower legs & wondered if maybe I'd gotten too excited about finally being healthy & overdone it a bit last week in going from ~10 miles/week to 28.

Wednesday 12/14: 5 easy with the same achey feeling -- oof, yep, definitely overdid it. I'd been planning on either Wednesday or Thursday to do a slightly longer run with some fast 1/2 mile road intervals but legs were telling me this was def NOT a good plan.

Thursday 12/15: 1 hour strength, no running. Hoping an extra rest day would fix me up.

Friday 12/16: 2.2 warm up, 4 x 1/2 mile fast / 2:30 jog, 2.5 cool down = 7.5 speed. I went into this run feeling flexible, like, "Let's see how a couple easy miles feel, if it feels good, we'll try throwing some fast 1/2 miles in there, if not, we won't press our luck." Fortunately the legs felt good, so some fast 1/2 miles it was. And by "fast" I mean like...Not that fast. 🤣 Just getting my slow, out-of-shape legs turning over a bit & waking up some fast twitch fibers.

Saturday 12/17: 3-4 easy Rest. I planned to do my usual pre-race shakeout run, but I was really feeling the speed work in my legs and I thought it was probably better to rest up.

Sunday 12/18: 1.5 warm up + 4.5 race! = 6 total. Race report coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment