Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Off to the Races

HEY HEY! Me again.

Let's get the preliminaries out of the way. I am a) still running, and b) still blogging. (At least, when time allows.) Since Hellyer 5K the rule has been "do some running when possible, if you feel like it," with the intent of following a real training plan starting in May. My next goal race is Wharf to Wharf 6 miler, and while my original goal of finishing in the top 100 women is almost certainly out the window, I am still planning to train hard (read: whatever life & work allows) & do my best.

(I mean, like. It *could* feasibly still happen, but going by recent years' results, I'd have to have one HELL of a three-month training cycle with no interruptions & basically turn my recent best 5K pace into my 6-mile pace, and then I MIGHT squeak into spot 100. So. Not impossible, but if I were you I reaaaaalllllly would not put money on it!)

From a running perspective, April really was lovely. All in all I wrapped up the month with 120 mellow miles, no workouts and nothing over 10 miles, just a bit of easy jogging here & there to keep the cobwebs clear. Sure, there were days when I would have preferred to get a few miles in & didn't; such is life. There was also a lot of travel, especially on the weekends, and although I did get a little running in in exotic locales, I didn't push it. The weather has been beautiful and I am digging on the extra daylight both in the morning & evening.


A couple of easy six milers along the San Diego Embarcadero (not quite to Mexico, but close).


Mellow eight miles along the Seattle Waterfront (not quite to Canada, but again, close).


Cheering my friend A on through the last miles of her long run this past weekend in Tahoe


Living my best life at L'Aventure in Paso Robes (no running, but still. Best life).

I have also started lifting again, and maaaaaaan that 5:30am wakeup call is a BITCH. Alas, I know from experience I cannot train hard running-wise if I'm not also doing all the strength training and all the PT/pre-hab.


This is my "I got up at 5:30am for this" face.

A few weeks back I signed up for another race, the Statuto 8K here in San Francisco. It's on June 2nd and it's now May 1st, so that gives me just around the neighborhood of a month to get ready.

What does 'ready' mean? I don't know! Coach Tom suggested running the first three miles at 10K pace and then the last two at best effort, but part of me just kind of wants to show up and race. I certainly won't be in amazing shape after just one month of real training, but I think I have a decent base now, so it will be interesting to see what I can do.

Not totally sure what all else I want to do between now and Wharf to Wharf, but other options include:

  • 5/26 Reach for a Star 5K (Brisbane)
  • 6/23 PrideRun 5K (SF) – race the 5K at best effort
  • 7/4 Parade Run 5K (RWC) (if we don't go out of town)
  • 7/14 Across the Bay 12K (SF, PA RR GP)

We will see!

4 comments:

  1. Just race! Surprise yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RFAS and ATB are both PA races, so the fields will be super fast! I'll give you my comped code for ATB if you want it. I'm out of town and can't run it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take you up on that! I've never run it & it's such an iconic Bay Area race. 🙂

      Delete