Monday, March 18, 2024

A Belated Look at Eugene Half Marathon Week 1 of 8

In case you missed it:

Eugene Half Week 2
Eugene Half Week 3

Eek, getting behind on these! Just about six weeks left until Eugene. If you cast back into your memory, you might recall that this was the week right after NorCal John Frank Memorial 10 Miler. The race was Saturday March 2 and I took the Sunday completely off for some much needed rest. Then on Monday, it was back to work!

(Also, look, sorry, no photos this week, it turns out when you're strapped for time & just living your life, you don't really remember to take a lot of photos. Sorry. 😬)


 ~*~*~ πŸ¦†πŸ¦† Eugene Half Marathon Week 1 of 8 πŸ¦†πŸ¦† ~*~*~

Grand Total: 43 miles

🐌 Easy: 37.625 miles
πŸƒπŸ»‍♀️ Moderate: 5 miles? (Counting anything 9:00 or faster at altitude as "moderate")
🐎 Fast: 0.375 miles

⚖️ Easy miles vs. fast/moderate miles: 87.5% vs. 12.5%. 

Blue = daily strain, red/yellow/green = daily recovery

Monday 3/11: a.m. strength + 6 easy. After taking Sunday completely off, I was feeling pretty good on Monday; maybe a bit tired still but not sore at all so I went out for a short easy effort to get the blood moving.

Tuesday 3/12: 4 easy, 6 x (100m strides / 100m jog), 1 easy, 2 @ HM effort, 1 cool down = 9 total. Not really a workout, just waking the legs back up a bit after the race. I jogged 3.5 miles to the track plus an extra half mile, then did three laps of strides on the straights and jogs on the curves (probably close to a mile since I stayed in the outside lanes). Heading out of the stadium and back home, I felt really good so in miles 7-8 I pushed the pace to what felt at least like HM effort-ish.

Wednesday 3/13: 6 easy. Didn't sleep well Tuesday and REALLLLLY wanted to spend Wednesday afternoon/evening curled up on the couch. So gave myself a lot of points for just getting out the door at all. Who knows why? Life is mysterious!

Thursday 3/14: 12 easy. Since my "long" run this week was only 12 miles, I thought I would get ahead of it by just doing it at home and then doing a shorter run in Tahoe. The only issue was that I still did not feel great Thursday and was not 100% sure trying to run more than a few miles was a great plan. 

It was one of those runs where I started out thinking, "Let's just see if we can get to two miles out and two miles back." By the time I was almost to two, I thought, "OK, I can totally do six. Maybe ten? But let's just get to three & see how things feel." By the time I passed mile 3, I thought, "Ok, we can totally make the ten mile loop. Of course if we're doing ten, we might as well just tack on the extra two and get it done." 

Almost always with longer runs, I speed up as I go and finish a good bit faster than when I started. This time, though, I really started to struggle around mile 7 and even started slowing down at times. It's been a long time since a double-digit run has been this much of a struggle. And then to make matters worse, I tripped and rolled my left ankle about 3.5 miles from home and could have sworn for a minute that I'd broken my ankle. Thankfully after a few minutes I was able to jog on it again, but I absolutely did not try to push the pace at all. 

By that night I was limping and then suffered the worst insomnia I've had in sometime & ended up awake until about 7am, so, YAAAAAY, my awesome week continues. 😬

Friday 3/15: Rest / drive to Tahoe. Shockingly after such a difficult run and then not sleeping, I woke up Friday with a deeply red recovery score & feeling like I'd been hit by a garbage truck. I begged off my morning meetings to try to get some extra sleep, then got a little work done in the car on the way to Tahoe. I'd figured I probably would not manage a run on Friday but with my sleep deprivation and still limping on my left ankle, there really was no question.

Saturday 3/16: Ski day! I woke up with a green recovery and felt good and actually skied for most of the day. My ankle was clearly a bit swollen and achey in my ski boot so postponing running one more day seemed like a wise move.

Sunday 317: Ski 1/2 day + 10 easy/moderate. As usual a full day of mogul skiing (which I've been trying to do more of) was enough to trash my hips and quads for the purposes of skiing. After a couple of hours (honestly it probably wasn't even half a day), I grabbed a coffee and some lunch and then headed out for some miles on the bike path. Unfortunately for me the 89 bike path was covered by waist-high snow, so I had to resort to running on the shoulder. (Thankfully it is a pretty wide shoulder and traffic was quite slow as it was 3-4pm at that point and everyone was fighting to get out of the ski resorts.) And phew, my ankle felt let's say 95%! Speed work might not have been a great idea but I did push the pace a bit here and there just for funsies (which in Tahoe means, like, 8:30 pace lol).


🎧In my ears this week:🎧 OK look, I usually share a quick blurb about whatever I've listened to, but I listened to a lot of things that week and I've been putting off publishing this post because I haven't had time to write those blurbs and if I wait until I do you may not read about Week 1 of 8 until Eugene Half is over. So, sorry, but here's what I listened to during Week 1:

  • The Seventh Function of Language by Laurent Binet. 
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate by Becky Chambers. 
  • The Heiress by Rachel Hawkins. 
  • Every Last Secret by A.R. Torre. 
  • The Teacher by Freida McFadden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment