Saturday, November 25, 2023

Getting It Done in SoCal (Kaiser Half Week 2 of 13)

Just toodling along last week. One harder workout but otherwise this was a pretty chill training week with lots of easy miles, a work trip, and a bit of race spectating thrown in for good measure.


 ~*~*~ 🎑 πŸŽ‘ Kaiser Permanente Half Week 2 of 13 πŸŽ‘ πŸŽ‘ ~*~*~

Grand Total: 32.5 miles

🐌 Easy: 29 easy
πŸƒπŸ»‍♀️ Moderate:
 3.5 miles
⚖️ Easy miles vs. fast/moderate miles: 89% vs. 11%


Monday 11/13: Rest.

Tuesday 11/14: a.m. strength + p.m 2 easy to the gym, 30:00 easy elliptical, 2 home = 4 total. This has become my typical easy recovery activity.

Wednesday 11/15: 6 easy frantic work/travel day. I was traveling to Southern California in the morning so had planned to get an easy six in that afternoon or evening. Alas I ended up absolutely buried in work and up until nearly 2am getting stuff done for my work the next day.

Thursday 11/16: Rest 6 easy. Usually when I'm down in Southern California for these one-day trips, I don't try to run on the work day -- I have to get up super early just to get to the site, then immediately get in the car and head to the airport. But on this day, I'd had to book an awkwardly late flight (8:30pm, though my work finished at around 3:30pm). Since I hadn't gotten my run in the day before, I really wanted to try to figure out a way I could get it in between the end of my work day and heading to the airport. So what I ended up doing was buying a super cheap towel and some wet wipes at a local Target, then using Strava Heatmap to figure out where around the airport do the people do their running. This led me to the Pacific Electric Trail, a lovely little suburban bike trail with only a few stop lights. I parked at a local park that abutted the trail, ran two miles out and back in one direction, then a mile out and back in the other direction. I finished in the dark and was glad I hadn't gotten started any later, but it felt super good to figure out some way to use the time to get my run in instead of sitting in the airport for four hours.



Pacific Electric Trail!

Friday 11/17: 2.5 warm up, 4 x 5:00 @ tempo effort / 2:30 jog, 2.5 cool down = 8.5 total. I felt pretty good during this run -- I ran the tempo efforts around ~7:30ish, which felt maybe a bit fast in retrospect, but on the other hand, I was able to get my legs turning over and felt like I was able to push pretty hard, which has not always been the case this year.

Saturday 11/18: 4 easy.

Sunday 11/19: 10 easy. I got up early to go support my teammates & take pictures at the PA Cross Country Championships in Golden Gate Park and was feeling pretty wiped out by the time I got home, so I was glad that this weekend's "long" run was a short one! We had plenty of fast ladies running so I decided to save my legs for next week's Turkey Trot. Masters women actually ended up WINNING the PA Champs race, which is huge! 🀯


🎧In my ears this week:🎧

  • After the Party by Lisa Jewell. A seven years-married couple find their relationship on the rocks in the months following the birth of their second child. This was a more kind of character study-type book than I'm used to from Lisa Jewell--no real mystery/crime/thriller element here. It was fine enough but I've liked her other works better.
  • The Big Flop--Howard Dean: I Have A Scream. If you were paying attention to politics in 2004...you know what this is about. 😬 A good friend of mine was a Howard Dean intern that year so it brings back some rather visceral memories. 🀣
  • Nobody Asked Us with Des & Kara--The Freshy Fresh NYC Marathon Recap Episode. Kara and Des recap the NYC Marathon literally like half an hour after Des finished calling it lol. I love this podcast, Des and Kara together are such a kick.
  • The Only One Left by Riley Sager. A ne'er-do-well home health care worker whose last client died under suspicious circumstances gets one last chance to redeem herself by taking on an elderly stroke victim suspected of murdering her entire family as a teenager. Classic Riley Sager vibes.
  • You're Wrong About--Amy Winehouse. Sarah and her guest recap the brief and tragic life of the brilliant Amy Winehouse.
  • None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell. Podcaster Alix Summer takes a chance on an idea for a new series put forward by her "birthday twin" and nearby neighbor Josie Fair--Josie is on the bring of "changing her life," and Alix will document her life as she goes about it. But something feels off about Josie and her story. Also not my favorite Lisa Jewell but not bad.
  • The Marriage Act by John Marrs. In a not-too-distant future, UK couples have the option to upgrade to a "smart marriage" that requires installing a listening device in their house that randomly samples 10 minutes a day of their conversation, provides AI-generated relationship advice, and can also designate any given marriage as "at risk" and dispatch a (woefully undertrained, definitely not well-vetted) "relationship first responder" to council the couple back to marital bliss. While smart marriages come with a variety of social and financial incentives, they also lead to a whole host of unintended consequences (WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT, I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED!). A follow-up from Marrs's previous The One. Dark AF but Marrs is a good writer and storyteller.

No comments:

Post a Comment