Monday, April 17, 2023

James Joyce Ramble 10K Week 1 of 4

Whew! SacTown 10 Miles is in the book and now we're looking forward to the USATF Masters 10K National Championships at the James Joyce Ramble in Dedham, MA on April 30. I am not starting from the best place in terms of health OR fitness, but we've got four weeks so I'm definitely going to make the most of it! I'm a bit behind here but doing my best to catch up. 😬

In case you missed it, most of my worries about this April 30 10K have been around my nuts travel schedule in April and how I was possibly going to fit in enough running, particularly workouts, to make flying across the country for a 10K worth it. 

All that started at the end of March with a work trip to Milwaukee. I got back from Sacramento Sunday afternoon, then had three days at home before Don and I flew to Walla Walla for a wine party we've been attempting to get to with Don's mother since before COVID (since it was cancelled in '20, '21, and '22). 

And of course if you're going to fly all the way to Walla Walla for *one* wine party, it only makes sense to stay some extra days and do some additional tasting, amirite? πŸ˜† Truly, friends, there were no bad stops on this trip. Every winery we tasted at was excellent.

Rotie! A fantastic stop! Highly recommend.

Cayuse! The tasting party we'd been looking forward to for 3+ years! Bionic Frog (100% Walla Walla syrah) is definitely one of the most unique wines I've ever tried, but good luck ever getting any of it.

Horsepower, another 100% syrah farmed entirely using horses. It's so good! But so outrageously expensive! πŸ˜‚

Impulsivo tempranillo. I really liked this one!

God Only Knows grenache, which I've been wanting to try forever!

The view at Pepper Bridge 😍

Seven Hills, another excellent stop in town.

Gramercy was also absolutely delicious.

Grosgrain, a fantastic recommendation!

L'Ecole! We were able to attend their 40th anniversary dinner in the barrel room that night but also stopped by the tasting room earlier in the day for a flight.


~*~*~ πŸ‘“ πŸ‘“ James Joyce Ramble 10K Week 1 of 4 πŸ‘“ πŸ‘“ ~*~*~

Grand Total: 25 miles

🐌 Easy: 21 easy
🐎 Speed:
 4 miles
⚖️ Easy miles vs. fast/moderate miles16% vs. 84%


Monday 4/3: Rest.

Tuesday 4/4: 5 easy. Still suuuper tired from SacTown, but no pain or soreness. Most importantly, both my ankles/feet/lower calves were behaving.

Wednesday 4/5: 1 hour strength + 2 warm up, 4 miles of 3:00/1:30/2:00/1:00/1:00/0:30 intervals, 2 cool down = 8 total. I was supposed to do this workout on Thursday, but since that whole day was going to be taken up with travel & wine tasting stuff, I did it on Wednesday instead.

Thursday 4/6: Rest/fly to Walla Walla. Oh did I mention I ALSO had a big work project due that I needed to send in by end of Thursday? FUN! Love to work all morning, all of the flight, and all of the three-hour drive to Walla Walla in the back seat with a wireless hotspot. Oh and also a bunch of that evening. Thankfully I had to send it off that night, so I didn't have to worry about work on Friday.

Friday 4/7: 6 easy. Normally on trips like this I wouldn't worry too much about running. But with all the travel this month, I knew I just could *not* be blowing off runs like that--I needed to plan ahead and find ways to adhere as close as possible to the training plan. So I set my alarm for 8:00am so that I could grab a quick bite, then try to get my easy run end.

Pro tip, I've found Strava's Global Heatmap absolutely invaluable for finding good places to run while visiting unfamiliar areas. That's how I was able find a nice little bike trail by the river & ended up having a lovely little meander through town. On the way back I somehow took a wrong turn so had to call Don to come pick me up on a random road, but I still made it back before the rain started. So that was nice! The route also took me through the campus of Whitman College, where I discovered some cool art.


Saturday 4/8: 6 easy. Up and at 'em with another early alarm. This time I took a slightly different route which was less scenic but still perfectly good for running. Oh also it's cherry blossom season in Washington, so that was neat.

Sunday 4/9: Rest/fly home. Knowing I wouldn't have time for a long run on Sunday, I pushed it to Monday the 10th, so you'll see that on next week's log.


🎧In my ears this week:🎧

  • The Measure by Nikki Erlick. One morning in March, a small wooden box appears on the doorstep (or equivalent) of every person in the world age 22 or older. Inside the box is a string, the length of which indicates the length of the person's life. You can choose to look, or not. You can tell people about the length of your string, or not. The book follows the intertwined lives of a handful of characters with different circumstances and string lengths, how they choose to handle the option of knowing exactly when your life will end, and how it all plays out. Loved this book!
  • All the Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham. A year ago, Isabelle Drake's eighteen-month-old son disappeared from his crib one night while his parents slept--the last real night of sleep Isabelle ever had. While the police and even Isabelle's own (ex-)husband seem to have given up on finding the boy alive, Isabelle spends her days giving interviews and speaking at true crime conferences in order to keep the disappearance in the news. In the background, always, is Isabelle's traumatic and confusing childhood and relationship with her family, particularly her sister. Now an uneasy partnership with a true crime podcaster who has taken an interest in Isabelle's case now has her questioning everything she thought to be true about both her son's disappearance and her childhood memories. Well written and I didn't see the ending coming!

I'm finishing this up in a hotel room in Chicago (no rest for the weary, sigh), so let that be a little teaser for next week's training journal. #RoadWarrioring

No comments:

Post a Comment