Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Victory Half Week 2 of 8

No stories this week, just a good old fashioned training log (and a few pretty pictures to keep you entertained). So far, so good! My main challenge right now is not getting over-enthusiastic and doing too much too soon just because I feel good. Trying to think ahead to April/May/June & how I want to be running then, which will require a slow-but-steady approach. 🐢🐌 (Also really nailing recovery! Which I'll try to talk more about next week.)


~*~*~ Victory Half Week 2 of 8 ~*~*~

Grand Total: 35 miles, all easy

Monday 1/9: 5.18 urban hiking! I felt good on Monday but didn't want to run because I was worried about increasing my running miles too quickly like I did in December. So instead I vigorously walked 5+ miles of these San Francisco hills, which pretty efficiently gets one's heart rate into the same range as easy running.

Yeah; I live here.

I also saw my chiro again on Monday (this lower back thing has reared its ugly head twice in the last two weeks and I can't have that) & she dutifully beat the shit out of my sacrum & hips.

Tuesday 1/10: 6 easy + 1 hour strength. A bit tired & sore from strength training (and chiro work) but still feeling better than I have been.

Wednesday 1/11: 6 easy. REALLY sore & pouring rain. Usually running a bit sore doesn't bother me but WOWZA I was ready for this one to be DUNZO. Hard to tell how good I felt because I was so distracted by the soreness. 🤣🤣

Thursday 1/12: 3 miles + strength 8 miles w/ 8 x 0:30 hill sprints / sub-6:00 surges. Last Sunday I'd felt great, but on Thursday I felt even better! Seriously cannot even remember the last time I felt this good. I wasn't going to the gym so I'd planned to run 5-6 miles instead of the 3 I'd usually run to the gym and back, but I felt so good I felt like I just could not waste it on a measly shakeout run. Seriously; weirdly fast splits at super easy levels of effort, stride feeling smooth & strong--just one of those days where you're like, "Yeah; I could run forever, probably." I felt so good I went the super hilly route and sprinted the hills. When I ran out of hills I did 0:30 surges & found myself hitting 5:20 pace. I don't know, man. Bodies are so weird sometimes.

Cool street art on my usual route through Golden Gate Park

Peacock Meadow is not usually a lake 😬

Friday 1/13: 5 easy. Aaaaand back to feeling good-not-great (and a little soreness in the left ankle telling me "Yeah, don't even dream of doing what you did yesterday again today.").

Saturday 1/14: Rest. Oh, and a sweet tasting of old Bordeaux, perfect for a rainy afternoon. 😋







Sunday 1/15: 10 miles easy. Still cold and wet out there! I didn't feel as fantastic as last Sunday's 10, but still pretty decent, and actually felt stronger towards the end.

 

In Case You Missed It:

Victory Half Week 1 of 8

No comments:

Post a Comment