Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Training Log: SACTOWN 10 Race Week!

Kind of a weirdly high mileage week for going into a race, but intensity-wise it wasn't too over the top. The highlight (other than the race) was probably the 4 x 1Ks. Coach A had suggested 4:08-4:20 for each K (~6:40-7:00 pace) as a place to start & then we could see how that felt. I really have not done a ton of speed work like this lately and immediately thought "Ooooh that's fast, going to have to really hammer those!" I started the first one and thought, "Ok, this might be about right." Then I looked down and saw 5:53 pace on my watch. OOPS!

I managed to slow them down a bit but I think I still ran them faster than I needed to. (4:04, 4:06, 3:56, 4:10) So, hey! Whattaya know, I actually do have some leg speed!


~*~*~ SacTown 10 Race Week!~*~*~

Grand Total: 44 miles

    * 25.5 easy
    * 3.5 speed
    * 5 progression
    * 10 race

Monday 3/28: 8 mile progression run -- A couple of easy miles, then gradually ratcheting down from 8:37/mile to 7:14/mile. This run felt really good and even the later fast miles actually felt pretty comfortable!

Tuesday 3/29: 1 hour strength + 5 easy

Wednesday 3/30: 2.6 warm up, 4 x 1K / 3:00 jog, 2.4 cool down = 8.5 total. 

Thursday 3/31: 3 easy + 1/2 hour strength. Tired legs today! Even more tired running home from the gym! We had a technical (Zoom) meeting for the SacTown masters championship race right in the middle of my gym session but I was determined to get at least some lifting in. So I listened to the Zoom call through headphones while jogging home.

Friday 4/1: 3 easy. I had a little bit of a scare this day -- as soon as I tried to start my run, I had a sharp pain in my (chronic stiff & immobile) ankle and had to stop after just about ten or fifteen seconds of running because it hurt so much. I tried again two or three times with the same result & felt my stomach sink. Really??? But after stretching my foot a big and trying to mobilize the joint, whatever it was went away and I was able to get my run in. My chiro & massage peeps are always working on that ankle and it's gotten somewhat better, but every now and then it has to give me a little scare.

Saturday 4/2: 3 easy. Legs finally starting to feel a bit peppy again! Weird mild little ache in right calf, but it didn't get worse with running or seem to affect my stride in any way. Then into the car & off to Sac!

Sunday 4/3: 3.5 warm-up + 10 race!

No comments:

Post a Comment