Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Gravity's Rainbow Book Club Update

Howdy friends!

The Gravity's Rainbow book club is gearing up. When I asked around I was shocked to find that so many people were interested in joining in!

What is Gravity's Rainbow, you ask?

    Lengthy, complex, and featuring a large cast of characters, the narrative is set primarily in Europe at the end of World War II, and centers on the design, production and dispatch of V-2 rockets by the German military. In particular, it features the quest undertaken by several characters to uncover the secret of a mysterious device named the "Schwarzgerät" ("black device"), slated to be installed in a rocket with the serial number "00000".

    Traversing a wide range of knowledge, Gravity's Rainbow transgresses boundaries between high and low culture, between literary propriety and profanity, and between science and speculative metaphysics. It shared the 1974 U.S. National Book Award for Fiction with A Crown of Feathers and Other Stories by Isaac Bashevis Singer. Although selected by the Pulitzer Prize jury on fiction for the 1974 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, the Pulitzer Advisory Board was offended by its content, some of which was described as "'unreadable,' 'turgid,' 'overwritten' and in parts 'obscene'". No Pulitzer Prize was awarded for fiction that year. The novel was nominated for the 1973 Nebula Award for Best Novel.

    TIME named Gravity's Rainbow one of its "All-Time 100 Greatest Novels", a list of the best English-language novels from 1923 to 2005, and it is considered by some critics to be one of the greatest American novels ever written.

In short, it will be awesome, & the idea is to read at a non-crazy pace as we all have busy lives & some of us have other reading we have to do as well.

Currently, we're organizing in an open Facebook group here. The goal is to start the week of May 30 to give everyone time to get a book. (I will probably keep it open until then, & then make it a private group.)

So yeah--If you're interested, come on over and say hi!

5 comments:

  1. I'm in if there's a way to join the fun without having to join the FB group. If not, I totally understand. The conscious choice I made when I deleted my FB was that I knew I'd miss out on some social stuff and I was willing to make that sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it kind of sucks but it was hard to find any other platform that people from across the country could all use together. I'm happy to cross post things here!

      The goal is to start May 30, & it sounds like most people are up to read about 40 pages/week (going by the version I have, which is 776 pages -- I'll try to post very specifically about the weekly pages in a way that doesn't rely on page numbers since people might have different versions).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought the kindle book and signed up! I know I frequently miss FB notifications - what about a Slack or Whatsapp group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to not knowing what either of those things are but if people are interested I have no problem posting in two places!

      Delete