Monday, January 16, 2017

Shamrock'n Half Week 2 of 10: Improvements! :D


And after two weeks of gray overcast & pouring rain, a gorgeous day at the track on Saturday!

Wellll this week went a little bitter than last week!

I have to say I have had a *heck* of a time getting motivated to start training properly again, which is not usually a thing for me. When I was training for Eugene and CIM last year, I was like a machine. I had my workouts for the entire week memorized, and as soon as I got home from work, I'd change clothes & head out the door in maybe 15 minutes & git'er done, no excuses. So far in 2017 it's like I just do not care. Like, I do want to run a fast half in March, but it's not like a vision that's driving me every day. I have to work a little harder to get myself out the door (though, once I do, it's fine).

The other issue this week was that I finally got back in the gym for strength work (YAY), but even in spite of my efforts to take it a bit easy & not blow out my legs doing squats, I, er, well, blew out my legs doing squats. Like. I didn't even do that many, or with that much weight (in November I was squatting 90 reps of maybe 100 pounds or so & on Monday I started with just 40 pounds--less than the empty bar--& only did 74) and still by the end of the day my quads felt like hamburger meat. So that threw off my running plans a bit!

* * *

Grand Total: 41.65 miles + 2 hours strength & 3 hours karate

* 24.35 easy
* 3 speed
* 2.3 tempo/threshold/race pace
* 12 long

Monday 1/9: a.m. strength / p.m. karate

    Super proud of myself for dragging my ass out of bed at 5:30 for strength work! But less proud about overdoing it & destroying my legs. :-/ Since I didn't run on Saturday or Sunday, I'd planned to run at least a little before karate, but my legs were NOT having it.

Tuesday 1/10: 2 warm-up, 12 x 200m / 200m jog, 2 cool down Rest.

    I went back & forth on whether to try running Tuesday, like I'd be sitting on the couch & think, "I could at least do some easy miles!" & then I'd stand up & my legs were like, "Uh, no. No, I don't think you can."

Wednesday 1/11: a.m. strength afternoon 6 easy / p.m. karate

    I was supposed to go to the gym Wednesday but I stayed up too late Tuesday night so when my alarm went off at 5:30 I was like "F*** THAT NOISE." Legs still screaming a bit from Monday's squats by the afternoon, but I decided to see if I could get a few easy miles in. And, it wasn't so bad.

Thursday 1/12: 3.25 warm up, 2 @ HM pace / 3:00 jog, 3.15 cool down

    At first I thought I'd do Tuesday's track workout this day, but I left work late enough that driving to the track and then driving home and trying to park would have been near impossible. So instead, I did Friday's planned threshold run.

    Lololol at trying to run 7:35 pace. I was clearly still getting over the last bits of being sick; even warming up super easy felt hard. I started my first fast mile, though, and was surprised at first at how easily I was able to hit the pace. "This isn't so bad!" I thought, until I hit .3 miles or so & suddenly it did NOT feel so easy anymore. Sigh. I did manage them at 7:29 & 7:31, so ultimately I called it a win.

Friday 1/13: a.m. strength / 8 easy.

    Thankfully, deadlifts are a bit gentler on the out-of-practice muscles than squats!

Saturday 1/14: 2 warm-up, 12 x 200m / 200m jog, 2 cool down = 7 total

    Finally got to the track for the first time in 2017! A bad habit I have is going out to the track for 200m's & sprinting them like I'm some kind of miler or something, but this week I really had no problem just la-la-ing them in at :43-:44. (Note - early last year, :43-:44 200ms was super fast for me & :46-47 was la-la pace. So that's neat.)

Sunday 1/15: 12 easy

    Such a lovely day for a long-ish run! The sun was out, but it was still crisp and and cool. Though, I started at 2:30 & was glad I didn't start any later as it's still getting dark fairly early. (But OMG, the worst chafing in MONTHS on this run, and no clue why. #coconutoileverywhere.)

Well, that's all I have to report this week. Back to worrying about the fate of the free world!

No comments:

Post a Comment