Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week in Review: July 16 - 21

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)

2 weeks to Summer Breeze 10K

5 weeks to Santa Rosa Half Marathon

I am not ashamed to admit that I snatched acceptability this week from the jaws of lameness in the eleventh hour. It got off to a rough start with me feeling pretty worn out & semi-injured after sparring night at the dojo last Sunday, but in the end I managed not only to get in another 30+ week (pretty good for me right now) but also to make it through my first "long" (ie, >10) run since Windsor Green Half back in May. (I've been remiss in these, partly for legitimate reasons and partly because I just plain don't enjoy them.)

Grand Total: 31.1

    * 24.6 easy
    * 3.5 LT pace
    * 3 speed/intervals

Monday: Karate + strength work.

Tuesday: 2 wu + 3.5 @ LT pace + 1 easy Limp around on busted leg all day. Feel exhausted + eat sushi.

Wednesday: 2 wu + 3.5 @ LT pace + 1 easy 4 easy. On Wednesday I had a terrible day & spent about a billion hours driving, including a trip to Berkeley & back, so by the time karate rolled around, the absolute LAST thing I wanted to do was get back in the car. Instead I decided to do the LT run I skipped on Tuesday. About a mile in, though, I kind of suspected that nothing faster than an 8:45ish pace was going to happen; the leg I'd tweaked at sparring night on Sunday was still bugging me, and for whatever reason my Achilles tendon/lower calf areas were on fire. If I'd been on a treadmill I probably would've stopped at 2, but managed to power through the 4 mile loop.

Thursday: 2.5 wu + 3.5 @ LT pace + 2 easy = 8. On Thursday I decided that LT run was effing HAPPENING. It took me a little longer than usual to get warmed up, and the LT miles were definitely tougher than usual (that first split was particularly depressing, even if it was uphill). You know what else it was? Freaking DONE. (7:42, 7:22, 7:21, 3:14)

Saturday: 2 wu + 6 x 800 @ 5K pace + 1 easy = 6. On Saturday I had originally planned to go run the SF Marathon 2nd Half course with some friends who are racing it next weekend, but due to my inability to work out transportation logistics, I didn't make it. :( My runs got all sorts of shuffled around this week & the track one had fallen by the wayside, so I picked it up & went with ity, & had a pretty darn good time.

Sunday: 13.1 easy. Since I didn't get it done Saturday morning, I figured I should probably do it today. This is the farthest I have run in two months, and I could really tell. Actually, I could tell even before I got anywhere close to beyond what I've been doing lately. As much as long runs are not my favorite, though, I figured it was about time to get back to doing them regularly what with Santa Rosa Half less than a month away.

So a solid week, all things considered. In fact, this is something like my 3rd solid week in a row:

We'll be gone for a mini-vacation the week of August 6, during which I'm fully prepared to not get any running in at all, so my goal is to get in two more 30+ weeks (and a 10K race, NBD) between now & then.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun on your vacation! I don't think you have to run on vacation even though I always try. :-)

    ReplyDelete