Sunday, June 5, 2011

Week In Review: May 29 - June 4

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)

As you may recall from my last WIR, I spent most of last weekend traveling and dealing with some sudden and severe hip pain, so not a lot of running got done (read: no running got done). I probably could've made the time for my scheduled 8-9 miler on Sunday, but I was still having enough pain that taking another rest day seemed like the smarter move. On Monday I was feeling a little better and if I hadn't spent most of the day on a plane, I probably would have tried a few easy miles. It was a scheduled rest day anyway, though, so no big loss. Come Tuesday, I was ready to hit the pavement again.

Tuesday: 4 miles tempo / speed. It seemed like a good idea to take things day by day this week, just to make sure my hip stays on the mend. Instead of the track session on the schedule, I decided to try four miles at whatever pace was comfortable, which ended up somewhere between tempo pace and long interval pace, with each mile a bit faster than the last (even in spite of hills!). It felt good to run, particular to run fast, and I was pleased to find that my hip (which has been feeling a little better) was no worse for the wear.

Wednesday: I thought about running Wednesday, but considering that I hadn't had a run scheduled to begin with, I'm watching out for my hips this week, and it was a karate night, I decided to nap a little before class instead.

Thursday: 6 miles (3 easy, 3 at 10K pace). I'd rather have run on the track (my feet and lower legs don't deal so well with concrete, and I've been running on it a lot lately), but it was late in the day & I wasn't sure I'd be able to find parking near my house again if I drove out there. Instead I just ran in the neighborhood. Although that meant dealing with hills again (I like to work in a couple of flat runs each week), the weather was nice and I felt pretty good the whole time, and it's hard to complain about that.

Friday: 6 miles (1 easy, 5 at tempo pace). This is the first time since I was training for Santa Cruz that I've run on consecutive days. My hips have been feeling better, though, so I figured it was probably time to give it a shot & see what happened. So far, so good!

Grand Total: 16 miles

I had a run planned for Saturday and thought I might be able to squeeze it in, but we had a lot going on & were pressed for time all day so I didn't get a chance. Still, an improvement over last week (even with skipping the long run last Sunday), and my hips are feeling MUCH better. I am determined to get back to 20 miles next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment