Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Week in Review: July 23-29

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)

1 week to Summer Breeze 10K

4 weeks to Santa Rosa Half Marathon

Mileage this week was short by exactly one long run thanks to some lame charlie horse action. Totally out of my control, but did make me wish I'd gotten a short, easy one in on Friday just to hedge my bets a little. Otherwise, a reasonably good week. I think I'm starting to come out of my most recent every-run-sucks phase. Which is good because apparently I am running a 10K this weekend.

Grand Total: 22.65

    * 10.4 easy
    * 7 HM pace
    * 5.25 speed/intervals

Monday: Karate + strength work.

Tuesday: 2 wu + 3.5 @ LT pace + 1 easy Go to a play written & directed by good friends. (Felt pretty crappy anyway, so at the time this really felt like no big loss.)

Wednesday: 6.4 easy + Karate + strength work. Since I didn't run on Tuesday, I came home from work a little early to get an easy one in before class. It was easy & uneventful = winning.

Thursday: 2 wu 1 wu + 12 10 x (3:00 @ 10K pace + 1:00 jog) = 6.25. This one got cut short due to time constraints. Also, I think I've mentioned this before, but OMG, this is absolutely, hands-down my least favorite speed/interval workout ever. Sometimes with certain workouts I'll be like, "Oh, it can't *possibly* be as bad as I remember." Nope; this one is always every bit as bad. I always want to quit after 3-4 intervals and the only way I can get through it is by asking myself, "Can you manage one more? Just one more?" and miraculously the answer always seems to be yes. Also, encouraging to see that, although it's the same amount of time & the same effort level, I'm covering slightly more distance than I did the last time I did this workout. Hey, progress.

Saturday: 2 wu + 7 @ HM pace + 1 cd Saturday morning I kept waking up with excruciating charlie horses in my right TFL / hip flexor area. It was so sore & painful by the time I got up that there was no question of running. It felt a little better by the evening, but Don's parents were in town & we had plans with them, so no time for a run then.

Sunday: 14 easy 2 wu + 7 @ HM pace + 1 cd = 10. Sunday was a choice between making up Saturday's HM pace run & the long run I'd planned. If this were marathon training, I probably would've gone with the long run, but for a half, the pace run seemed more important. It was a pretty good one. :)

I really have no idea what to expect from this 10K this weekend. Well; that's not exactly true. I PR'd & won the same race last August in 44:42, & ran a 44:49 in February on the same course, so I kind of know what to expect. Part of me thinks I might be in good enough shape relative to the last two times to PR again, but I also haven't been doing 10K specific training and won't have tapered much, so who knows.

At the very worst, I feel like I'll be able to run something respectable & more or less on par with those last two & get at least a vague sense of where I am going into Santa Rosa. By which I mean, going into a week-long vacation with no running three weeks before the race.

Eh. It'll be what it'll be.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck this weekend. Will be interesting to see how it all falls out especially given your post of the other day!!

    ReplyDelete