Monday, April 9, 2012

Week in Review: Apr 2 - 8

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)

4 Weeks To M-A Big Bear Run 5K

6 Weeks To Windsor Green Half Marathon

So....you know that whole resolution thing I mentioned last week?

Yyyyyeah. So about that.

I may have forgotten to mention that I suck at resolutions. :P

Grand Total: 41 miles

*33.8 easy
*3 half marathon pace
*4.2 speed/intervals

Monday: karate + strength work

Tuesday: 2 wu + 3 x 10:00 @ 10K pace + 1.8 easy = 8 total. Of course, the first day you resolve to get your running done in the morning is the day you go to the track at 10:00 am & there are about 19 track teams there practicing on a random Tuesday morning for some reason. So I left and went back at 2:00 pm when it was much emptier. Hey, I tried!

7:12, 7:10, & 7:08 pace respectively. The last time I did these (late Jan / early Feb, I guess), they were REALLY hard. Even though it was warmish today, they seemed much easier. Even towards the end pushing the pace a little, it felt completely manageable & not all "OMG-are-we-done-yet-FML" like the last time. Also in the past 5K / 10K pace intervals have had a tendency to irritate my shin splints, & none of that today, so bonus. :)

Wednesday: karate + strength work + 6 easy. Ugh. So I stuck to my resolution of getting the run in as soon after breakfast as possible. I don't know whether my body was just rebelling against that idea or was just still worn out from my track workout less than 24 hours earlier or whatever, but I felt exhausted the whole way. Like seriously. I was more ready to be done with this run at mile 2 than I was at mile 24 of CIM. It made me actually kind of glad that after 15 minutes (!) of waiting for my Garmin to pick up satellites, I'd abandoned it & just decided to run a known route & not worry about pace. Because I'm pretty sure my pace was ass. By the end, it was actually kind of comical.

Thursday: 2 wu + 3 @ HM pace (7:41, 7:37, 7:30) + 2 cd = 7. Oy. This run was a comedy of errors, which began with me going, "Ehhhhhh, I'd really rather get some WORK done this morning than run." But at least the run did happen that afternoon, and my HM miles were (sort of) good! You can read all about it here if you haven't (and care a lot).

Friday: 8 easy. Not before noon. Sigh. My cave-like house fooled me into thinking it was cold and breezy outside, when in fact it was quite sunny and warm and breezy. My black tights made me sad and my legs felt like bricks about halfway through. Yet another run I was just glad to be done with.

Sunday: 12 easy. Continuing the week's theme of BLECCCHHHH, just GET IT DONE, I woke up at noon feeling pretty shitty, which may or may not have been the result of, um, overindulging just a bit the previous afternoon, evening, and night and also eating very little food and drinking no water. (What? You don't fuel your long runs with mind-boggling quantities of mimosa & red wine?) So running was really about the last thing on earth I was excited about doing. But you do what you gotta do.

I did cut it 2 miles short (Will I *never* run 14 miles again? It seems unclear at this point.), but I found that driving to GG Park and making nice 3.5 mile loops (Stanyan, Kezar, MLK, Transverse, JFK, repeat) with my car as home base worked really well logistically. I could re-BodyGlide after every loop & didn't have to carry my citrus-flavored Clif Shot (which, by the way, YUM!! Loved.), and though I didn't end up changing, I was uncertain about the weather & it was nice to know I had tights and a longsleeves in the car should I want them. It seems the loops actually worked out to more like ~3.66 each; three full circuits put me at 11 miles, & I made one more tiny baby loop off a shorter trail to get to 12. This is a route/logistical structure I may have to make use of more often in the future.

Next weekend we will be Paso Robles, which means I won't be running Saturday or Sunday. Which means a METRIC SHIT-TON of running needs to happen Tuesday through Friday this week. Oh and also my taxes have to get done. And some amount of, y'know, income-generating work as well would be good. Pssshhh.

1 comment: