Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Two Weeks Till Johnny (John Frank 10 Miler Week 2 of 4)

Two weeks to go until we drive up to Redding and play in the hilllllzzz! Nothing too bananas to report this week, just chipping away. Some days feel better than others but over all I am feeling good and generally getting the training done more or less in the right vein. There is always the temptation to tack on a couple miles here & there, but sitting right in the low 40s has been working well for me for the last few weeks and I don't see a good reason to get greedy at this point.


 ~*~*~ 🌁 πŸŒ John Frank Memorial 10 Miler Week 2 of 4 πŸŒ πŸŒ ~*~*~


Grand Total: 43.1 miles

🐌 Easy: 34.1 miles
πŸƒπŸ»‍♀️ Moderate: 6 miles
🐎 Fast: 3 miles

⚖️ Easy miles vs. fast/moderate miles: 79.1% vs. 20.9%. 


Blue = daily strain, red/yellow/green = daily recovery

Monday 2/12: a.m. strength.

Tuesday 2/13: 3.5 warm up, 12 x (300m @ 10k effort / 100m jog), 3.5 cool down = 10 total. The last time I did this workout was back in November, which was the first time I'd ever done it so I wasn't totally sure about the effort level (given that you only get a 100m recovery), and also I was in significantly less good shape. So this time I felt much more confident about trying to run the intervals faster.

In November I started at 1:27 (7:49 pace) & ratcheted down to 1:22-1:24 (so 7:28ish pace). This time I took the first one in 1:20 (~7:16ish pace), which I felt conflicted about because a) let's be honest, I do not think I could run a 10K at 7:16 pace right now, but b) it felt so easy??? And 100m is actually plenty of recovery time??? Like it just didn't really feel hard enough to be a real workout.

After that I kind of told myself, "OK 1:22 per rep only [which is right around 7:20 pace], absolutely no faster, that is already probably faster than you can run a 10K right now. You have 12 of these to do and that was just the first one, maybe it'll get harder." But...it didn't really? My pattern would be: start off running fast-but-not-too-fast, check watch, go "SHIT 6:45 is ABSOLUTELY too fast," okay cool it off, cool it off, cool it off, and then by the time I crossed the line I'd be maybe back down to 1:22 (but also maybe not):

Girl you haven't run a 10K at 7:07 pace since 2012 wtf πŸ€¦πŸ»‍♀️

So I kind of found myself in this weird place of "Slow down slow down slow down, don't try to beat the workout, be honest about current realistic 10K pace" vs. feeling like I wasn't running hard enough to get much of a workout & wanting to keep it honest there. So, I dunno, maybe I just need to double check with my coach just exactly how hard it's supposed to feel.

Wednesday 2/14: 6 easy. A rainy nasty day but feeling good!

Thursday 2/15: 8 easy. There are days when you're counting down to the end of an easy run & there's days when you're like, "Oh, done already??" I feel like those days are so rare now and yet two in a row this week! I will take it.

Dusk run through the Park

Friday 2/16: 2 warm up, 10:00 easy bike, 10 x standing bike sprints, 10:00 easy bike, 2 cool down. A la this workout. During the time last summer when my right knee was completely FUBAR'd and I couldn't run for like 10 weeks, this is one of the spin bike workouts I would do once or twice a week in order to maintain (or like, at least lose less quickly) vO2 max and leg speed. I think it's more or less equivalent to 200m's -- each interval takes about the same amount of time as a fast-ish 200m (I do 45 seconds on, 75 seconds recovery) and feels pretty similar in terms of intensity. I like that you can kind of plug in short & sweet HIIT-style bike workouts like this on easy days and it's totally fine because it's so low impact.

Saturday 2/17: Rest.

Sunday 2/18: 3.15 warm up, 6 x (1 mile @ HM effort / 0.5 mile jog), 2.85 cool down = 14.5 total. On paper this did not seem like a particularly hard workout. Like when we do mile repeats it's usually 4-6 at more like 10K pace with maybe 2.5-3 minutes of recovery, so this is both slower and close to double recovery. And yet, after the first couple of intervals, it started to feel pretty hard actually. Mostly in the sense that my legs just felt really tired, and running HM pace (or what I've been successfully treating HM pace in other workouts) felt a lot harder than it should have, and even the cool down jog home was a slog. HOWEVER, we wrapped up the evening with dinner with friends, which culminated in a delicious apple spice cake that I think I could probably live on.

Did I open up a 1996 Dow's colheita to go with it? Heck yeah I did. Tawny port & spice cake = besties forever.


🎧In my ears this week:🎧

  • Nobody Asked Us: Olympic Marathon Trials Redux, Sober Version. Des & Kara debrief the Olympic Marathon Trials, sober this time. 🀣 This has seriously become one of my absolute favorite podcast. Just love listening to two running ladies who have pretty much seen it all bantering back & forth with one another.
  • Unexplainable: The Sixth Sense. This was part of their "senses" series and, let me just spoil it for you, the sixth sense is proprioception.
  • Unexplainable: When Reality Broke. This episode was about quantum mechanics and how it completely rocked the scientific world when it was first beginning to be understood, and how most people today still don't actually understand just how wild QM is.
  • Unexplainable: Glow in the Dark Ocean. They interview a marine biologist about all things bioluminescent and some cool things scientists have just started to figure out recently.
  • 48 Clues into the Disappearance of My Sister by Joyce Carol Oates. A short one but quite a rich text! (I mean, hi, does JCO do unrich texts ever? Feels like no.) On April 11, 1991, Georgene “Gigi” Fulmer’s 30-year-old older sister Marguerite disappears seemingly without a trace, though there is the mysterious, silky Dior slip dress left on the floor in M.’s bedroom. Gigi narrates as she, her investment banker father, and the police try to unravel the fate of the celebrated sculptor. Peppered throughout are strange, ambiguous hints about the relationship between the two sisters and their ambivalence toward one another, and the role those things may or may not have played in Marguerite’s disappearance. One review I read compared the vibe of this book to Shirley Jackson’s We Have Always Lived In the Castle and I can totally see it. I think I may have to read this one again to fully digest it all!
  • North Woods by Daniel Mason. A Serious novel by a Pulitzer Prize finalist. The novel spans hundreds of years, chronicling the lives of the many inhabitants of a patch of country in New England, from a pair of young lovers fleeing a Puritan colony, to an English soldier who abandons the battlefield to grow a delicious new strain of apples, to a pair of spinster twins. Very much a character study/connection-through-time book rather than a plot-focused group.
  • The Future of Another Timeline by Annalee Newitz. We cut back and forth between seventeen-year-old Beth in 1992, whose life seems to be spiraling out of control between her abusive father, neglectful mother, and increasingly morally ambiguous friends, and middle-aged Tess in 2022, who along with her compatriots “The Daughters of Harriet” has been using highly sophisticated, billions-of-years-old time machines to travel into the past to try to effect social change. But now a shitty group of men from the future seem to be trying to destroy the machines in order to keep women in a subservient role. An interesting premise, but the mediocre-to-poor writing and the sense of an “agenda” made this one a bit of a slog for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment