Sunday, January 7, 2024

Holiday Running Update! (Kaiser Half Week 8 of 13)

Hello all, I hope the holidays were kind and you are refreshed and reinvigorated and that your new year is off to a solid start. Mine were a bit chaotic and scrambled. Thanks to work stuff, available venues/facilities, and horrific jet lag (if you've never experienced twelve hours of jet lag or "the full jet-lag monty" as I've been calling it, it is, well, really something), I got absolutely zero running accomplished on my trip to Dubai. I pretty reliably adjust to jet lag at the rate of one hour/time zone per day, so I was there pretty much exactly long enough to acclimate and then get back on a plane and do the whole thing over again. (Again, if you've never been jet lagged for twenty-four full days, it is...really an experience. Not one I recommend, but an experience.)

I arrived back home late the night of Dec. 18th, slept like a log thanks to an absolutely hulking thirty-three-hour travel day, had a great six-mile run on the 19th, then promptly came down with some kind of respiratory virus on the 20th (not Covid, thank Jesus for small blessings). 🀦🏻‍♀️ I always wear masks in airports and on transit now, so I'm going to blame my visit to the Burj Khalifa on Sunday the 17th for whatever I caught. (If I'd been thinking I absolutely would have worn a mask given how crowded/close quarters it is, but for whatever reason it just didn't occur to me, so stupid.) 

Honestly, whoever designed the whole plaza area surrounding the Burj really nailed it. You just cannot take a bad picture here no matter how hard you try.

Anyway, this was absolutely fantastic timing as I was getting back on a plane on the 22nd to fly home to Texas for Christmas. (Again: Insane jet lag? Respiratory/sinus infection/**more** air travel?? An experience! That literally everyone should try to avoid!) Long story short, I spent most of that trip including Christmas sick with something and not at all up to running. So, weeks 6 & 7 were pretty much a bust.

But!! I started feeling better after Christmas, and as of Week 8, started to get kiiiinda sorta back on track. Behold:


 ~*~*~ 🎑 πŸŽ‘ Kaiser Permanente Half Week 8 of 13 πŸŽ‘ πŸŽ‘ ~*~*~

Grand Total: 29.5 miles

🐌 Easy: 16 miles
πŸƒπŸ»‍♀️ Moderate: 13.5 miles (at least, if we're going by my heart rate for most of it 🀣)

⚖️ Easy miles vs. fast/moderate miles: 54.2% vs. 45.8% (not ideal but I regret nothing)


Monday 12/25: Rest. Starting to feel sort of normal-ish again!

Tuesday 12/26: An easy 4 out and back to Lake Arlington near my mom's house. I'd never actually been out there so it was kind of neat to actually see it.



Wednesday 12/27: More rest. Body definitely telling me it's not yet up to consecutive days of running, which was fine! It was the holidays. :)

Thursday 12/28: Felt good so did an easy 6 out and back in a different direction. There are actually some pretty pedestrian friendly areas to run in the suburban area where my mom lives, which I had not explored too much yet since she moved basically right before the pandemic. Nice to know!

 
Who doesn't love some photos of the open road

Friday 12/29: Travel day/rest.

Saturday 12/30: Home again home again! Just another easy 6 along one of my usual routes on an absolutely beautiful day.

Sunday 12/31: 13.5 long. Brazen New Year's Eve trail half! (Due to some Garmin hijinks the Strava record is missing some mileage but you get the idea.)


🎧In my ears this week:🎧

  • Devil House by John Darnielle. My last audiobook of 2023! True crime writer Gage Chandler gets the opportunity to move into the Milpitas house where a pair of notorious murders occurred during the Satanic Panic of the 1980 while he investigates what happened. In the course of researching the crimes, he is forced to reckon with the ethics and morality of working in the true crime genre and the harmful impact he may have unwittingly had on the real people involved.
  • You're Wrong About: The D.C. Sniper Attacks. Love this podcast! Somehow I missed this series of episodes when they came out. Not cheery stuff but super interesting and quite revealing in terms of Our Society and Culture (which is basically what You're Wrong About is all about, so).

I'm happy to say that Week 9 has been going well too! With any luck I'll make it to the starting line of Kaiser SF Half at least *moderately* fit & recovered. 🀞🀞🀞

No comments:

Post a Comment