Tuesday, August 1, 2017

SJRNRHM Week 5 of 14: Getting in Miles, but Losing the Kitchen

Things at our house have been getting interesting.

Did I mention that we're five months into a massive remodel? We're five months into a massive remodel. Now that there's a real floor, stairs, proto-walls, and windows, the (previously unpermitted and very very not-up-to-code) downstairs area is starting to feel like a real house!








The next step is to demo our crappy upstairs kitchen & start building a fancy MORE BETTER kitchen and powder room, and then finally demo our crappy upstairs bathroom & turn it into a smaller but much nicer en suite. Demo on the kitchen starts Wednesday, so we spent a lot of our Sunday cleaning out the various cabinets & drawers.





Meanwhile, the "kitchen" is now in the living room.



There are a lot of unanswered questions currently, like how are we feeding ourselves without resorting to takeout every night, where is the large refrigerator going, and what happens when they finally come to demolish our bathroom. Fingers crossed the vast majority of the work will be done within the next three months, but honestly I'll just be happy if things go back to normal by the end of this year.

In the meantime, training for stuff!

* * * Rock 'N Roll San Jose Half: Week 5 of 14 * * *

Grand Total: 41.5 miles.

    * 23.3 easy
    * 3 speed
    * 3.2 tempo/threshold
    * 12 long

Monday 7/24: a.m. strength work / afternoon 6 easy / p.m. karate

    Monday is usually a rest day but I had to shuffle some things around this week due to work travel and my legs felt fine, so I managed to shoehorn in a few miles between work & karate. Weirdly, this run felt really good and easy...not really sure what's up with that...

    In other news, I'm up to deadlifting 110 lbs. for reps. More than nothing!

Tuesday 7/25: 2 warm up, 12 x 200m / 200m jog, 2 cool down = 7 total

    Not a bad little workout! I have been shamed in the past for hammering short intervals (we're training for a half marathon, here, not the 1500m) & doing them significantly faster than prescribed because WEEEEEE GOING FAST!!!!! so I actually went into this thinking, "Keep it chill, definitely no faster than 0:45 & 0:48 (the prescribed time) is fine."

    The thing about 200m's is that you can't exactly check your watch effectively while you're running them, and even if you manage it, it's not like you have time to change much before the thing is over. So I tried to keep the first one really easy, thinking as I hit the finish, "Meh, that was probably actually too slow, 0:50 or something." So it was a bit of a surprise to see 0:44 on my watch!

    I kept trying to dial it back a little, but then part of me would think, "Eek, not THAT slow!" & invariably they'd end up just a touch too fast. 44.2 / 44.7 / 45.1 / 43 / 45.3 / 43.6 / 41.5 / 44.5 / 42.5 / 44.1 / 43.6 / 41.5

    (Okay....I'll admit I kind of hammered the last one, just to see. Part of me is super curious to see whether I could run a sub-0:40 200m fresh, but I'm not keen to test it out right now given what my right calf has been through lately.)

Wednesday 7/26: Drive to Redding YAAYYYYY FOUR HOURS IN THE CAR!!!!

    I had a workshop to give there on Thursday, after which I would get BACK in the car and drive ANOTHER four hours back home. Originally I'd thought, "Hey, Thursday is going to be pretty packed, I should just suck it up and get my easy run in Wednesday evening in Redding." Weirdly, this would make seven consecutive days of running (hooRAYYY schedule shuffling!!), which I didn't really want to do, but I just could not see how the run was happening on Thursday.

    Alas, by the time I got to Redding, I was exhausted. Not just like, "Ugh, I'm kind of tired, sorry, run," but as in, I checked into my hotel, got caught up on email, and immediately passed out on the bed for four hours. By the time I woke up I desperately needed to find food and prep for the next day, so running was just not really in the cards. (Though, it was still like 95F out, so I can't say I would have been that motivated to run outside anyway, and the thought of a treadmill run at that point was honestly kind of nauseating.)

Thursday 7/27: 8 easy.

    This was the day I had to give a workshop all day in Redding & then drive 4-5 hours back to SF. As the easy run did not get done on Wednesday as planned, I really needed to do it Thursday but it took some doing to figure out exactly how that would work.

    Solution: Change into running clothes immediately after my workshop, bolt from the venue ASAP, & drive 80 mph from Redding to Golden Gate Park. I made the trip in about 3.5 hours (not bad!) & got my easy run via laps around the east side of the Park somewhere within in the 7-8:30pm time frame. My legs were a little unhappy to be running after sitting in a car for so long, but my lungs could not be happier for the fresh air, sunshine, & sub-100F temps.

Friday 7/28: 3 warm up, 3 x 1600m @ HM pace / 1:00 jog, 2.3 cool down = 8.5 threshold

    This was one of those workouts that occasionally happens where my first mile is somewhere in the 11+ minutes range and hard AF, and the thought of ratcheting down to 7:30ish is just laughable. But, I did it.

Saturday 7/29: Rest.

    We spent Saturday eating and drinking our way around Alameda with friends. We even actually managed to restrain ourselves a bit, and it did not suck, and thankfully neither did Sunday morning.

Sunday 7/30: 14 long 12 long

    This run might as well have been a continuation of Friday's run, except that on top of generally just feeling exhausted and barely managing 10-10:30 miles, my Achilles were feeling like steel cables. (It happens occasionally, and I have no idea why.) Oh my god, it was just demoralizing. A mile or two in I felt so sure I was going to have to stop at four or six because HOW could I keep this up for 2-2.5 hours. But, eventually things got a little easier, and though I really really thought that 10 miles felt like PLENTY for today, I pushed myself to finish 12 and felt completely fine about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment