We met up at Jen's place Saturday morning, then carpooled over to the Ramage Peak trail head in Castro Valley.
It turns out that getting taken by surprise by a cow is more disconcerting than you might think. I think I leapt back and shrieked "OH MY GOD THERE'S A COW" so fast that everyone else was pretty sure I was about to say 'cougar' (which we'd also been warned about).
We figured EBMUD might appreciate our using imaginary candles, given the insane drought / fire season we're in the middle of.
A proper post-trail run breakfast :)
Because you have to be a bit careful about the footing and because some of the inclines were on the steep side, hitting the trails was a nice way to get in nearly two hours of easy running at the lower effort I've been trying to focus on.
WEEK OF 10/6-10/12
- * 20 miles, all easy
* 3 x 45:00 strength workouts, plus a SHITE tonne of mid-run single-leg squats. (More on that when I get the RunSafe post together.)
Monday: a.m. strength work / p.m. RunSafe
Tuesday: 8 easy
- I think Tuesday will eventually be my longer goal marathon pace/effort day, so that is where Coaches Tom & Ashley started plugging in extra miles as I gradually increase my running. Still taking it super easy for now, so time-wise this was more like what a 10 miler would usually be for me, which made me feel extra productive.
a.m. strength work / p.m. karate Big fat nuthin'
- I failed to get up on time & then karate was cancelled due to a lack of quorum, so Wednesday ended up being an unplanned rest day.
a.m. strength work / p.m. 6 easy
- Again, with the failing to get up. But I ran! And you guys, I never been so happy to see the fog rolling in over Twin Peaks. Yes, it was super windy, and cold enough that I actually wore a long-sleeve shirt & didn't regret it, but I WILL TAKE IT after a week of going sports-bra-only and still feeling like I was going to melt into the pavement.
Friday: a.m. strength work / p.m. football
- Because, football.
Saturday: 6 trails
a.m. 11 long
- I was bummed to miss my long run this week, but we had a crazy amount of stuff to take care of before trekking out to Livermore for a friend's wedding that afternoon/evening & the only way I was going to get this one in was if I got up at 5 a.m., which was just not going to happen this week.
Goals for next week include breaking 30 miles for the week & a 2 hour+ long run. Oh, and getting the RunSafe post up.