Although lady-running brands like Lululemon and Tres Ladies would have us believe otherwise, there are in fact women in the world who run for reasons other than building up a calorie deficit they can then stuff with pie or cupcakes. Even more shockingly, some of us even enjoy rich, high-calorie food without mentally calculating how many miles we have to run to "atone" for it. A world in which I need permission from my training log to have pizza for dinner is not any kind of world I want to live in.
In celebration of this fact, I'm joining my friend Katt in her New Year's resolution to eat everything on the 2012 7x7 100 Things to Eat [in San Francisco] Before You Die list (and not running a single extra mile because of it). Several other friends are already on board, so I foresee an even more spectacularly tasty year than usual. :)
- Mission Chinese Food.
Roasted chicken & bread salad at Zuni Cafe- Done and DONE! Absolutely divine -- you *must* try it.
- Dry-fried chicken wings at San Tung
- Carnitas taco at La Taqueria
- Chasu ramen at Katana-Ya
- Custard French toast at Nopa.
Morning Bun at Tartine Bakery- Good, but I must question -- out of everything they have to offer at Tartine, why the morning bun? It's kind of dry & stiff & gummy & gets all stuck in your teeth. I'll take a croissant or a slice of tea cake any day of the week.
- Cellophane noddles with crab at The Slanted Door
- Eggs In Jail at Outerlands
- Kelvin-made ice cream at Smitten
- Pork sugo with pappardelle at Delfina
- Porchetta sandwich at RoliRoti
- Soup dumplings at Kingdom of Dumpling
- Warm egg salad sandwich at Il Cane Rosso
- Any seasonal flavor at Scream Sorbet
- Katsu curry at Muracci's Japanese Curry & Grill
Pizza margherita at Pizzaria Delfina- potentially the best pizza margherita I've ever had.
- The $24 prix fixe at Cotogna
- Benwaffles at Bar Jules
- Tonkotsu ramen at Izakaya Sozai
- Vietnamese roasted pork sandwich at Saigon
- Duck and sausage jambalaya at Boxing Room
- Loaf of bread straight out of the oven at Tartine Bakery - I've had it, say, an hour or two removed from the oven, but not straight out.
- Pistachio meatballs at Zare at Fly Trap
- Spicy baby octopus stew at La Ciccia
- Tuna tartare at Bix
- Clam chowder at Anchor Oyster Bar
- Amatriciana pizza at Ragazza
- Pupusas at Balompie Cafe
- Prime Rib at House of Prime Rib
- Pork belly bun at Chairman Bao Bun's truck
The Little Star at Little Star Pizza- Love it! Argentine beef empanadas at Venga Empanadas- quite good, as I recall (though admittedly I'm not sure I'd put it in the top 100 food items in SF). Salted caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery- fantastic!
- Soft garlic pretzels at Absinthe's bar
- Whole wheat pasta with hen & liver at Flour + Water - I've never had a pasta at F+W that I didn't like, so I'm excited about this one.
- Burger and fries at Spruce's bar - Haven't had the burger, but everything else at Spruce was FABULOUS.
- Egg custard tart at Golden Gate Bakery
- Pierna enchilada torta at La Torta Gorda
- Langos at Bar Tartine
- Maccaronara with ricotta salata at A16
- Nojo sundae at Nojo
Beer sausage at Rosamunde Sausage Grill- again, pretty much everything at Rosamunde is amazing.
- Duck larb at Lers Ros Thai - Lers Ros is definitely where we take out-of-towners for the best Thai, but I haven't had this dish.
- Secret Breakfast at Humphry Slocombe
- Chips and salsa at Papalote - I've only had burritos here.
- Seafood chowder at Bar Crudo Update! Had this & wasn't super impressed. Not bad, but kind of one-note in my opinion.
- Ginger snaps at Miette
- Chicken soup with dumplings at Leopold's
- Pho ga at Turtle Tower
- Carnitas at Nopalito
- Tika masala burrito at Curry Up Now's truck - Don has this for lunch all the time because apparently the truck often parks right by his work. He raves about it but I have yet to try it (though the deconstructed samosa was uh-MA-zing) Update! OMG Jesus Christ. Go get it. Get it now.
- Four Barrel
- A dozen Sweetwater oysters at Hog Island Oyster Co.
- Chicken porridge at Bush Street's Out the Door
- Sandwich No. 1 at Lucca Delicatessen
- Pork shoulder fried rice at Sai Jai Thai
- Hamburger at 4505 Meats - love their charcuterie, but have yet to try the burger.
- Huarache with cactus salad at El Huarache Loco
- Spaghettini with tuna heart at Incanto - I will eat anything, any time at Incanto.
- Dim sum at Ton Kiang
- Pozole at San Jalisco (Fridays)
- Sand dabs at Tadich Grill
Cookies-and-cream cookie at Anthony's Cookies- out of this world!
- Paper masala dosa at Dosa
- Meatloaf sandwich at Fatted Calf
- Foccacia at Liguria Bakery
- Omakase menu at Kiss Update! This was really, really good, but I still maintain that nothing but *nothing* in terms of Japanese beats the pre fixe at Kappa, which is very close by.
- Calamari with chorizo and black rice at Contigo
- Fried green beans at Coco500
- Peanut brittle cookie at Mr. & Mrs. Miscellaneous
- Munsoned at Deli Board
- Faux shark's fin soup with black truffle custard at Benu - To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to get to Benu this year...
- Super carne asada burrito at El Farolito
- Steak frites at L'Ardoise
- Fried chicken at Foreign Cinema
Bone marrow at Alembic- I'm not big on bone marrow so this was kind of 'meh' for me.
- Crawfish beignets at Brenda's French Soul Food
- Potato latke with pickled beets at Baker & Banker
- Pickled egg at Comstock Saloon
- Boulettes Larder
- Rice burger at Sandbox Bakery
A cheese slice at Arinell Pizza- This is another that I'd have to say I'm not sure belongs on the list of top 100 food items in SF. I mean it's tasty, but it's a slice of cheese pizza.
- Sesame balls at Yank Sing
- Fried chicken sandwich at Marlowe
- Coconut buns from King's Bakery
- Malaysian curry laksa soup at Betelnut
- Korean taco at Namu's Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market stand
- Albondigas soup at Mijita
- Bacon-wrapped hot dog at a cart in the Mission
- Chicken liver on toast at Frances
- Seven flavors of beef at Pagolac
- Hawaiian Hangover cake at Bluestem Brasserie
- Deviled eggs at Park Tavern
- Ube ice cream at Mitchell's Ice Cream
- Green goddess salad at Prospect - To be honest I can't remember if I had this or not. I definitely had a salad there but I don't remember which one it was. To be safe I should probably just go back. ;)
- Chicken curry lunch special at Punjab Kabab House
- Fried chicken and waffles at Little Skillet
- Cracked Dungeness crab at Swan Oyster Depot.
This is serious business. Katt has figured out that we'll needs to hit 2-3 per week on average to make it happen, so there is a lot of work to be done. There may be a few pinch hitters due to allergies & geography (I've had Tamales Bay Oysters -- I don't need to drive an hour for Hog Island ones), but by God if we won't make a valiant effort.
Any of these you've already had? Any others we shouldn't miss?