Tuesday, January 24, 2012

100 Things to Eat [in San Francisco] Before You Die

Although lady-running brands like Lululemon and Tres Ladies would have us believe otherwise, there are in fact women in the world who run for reasons other than building up a calorie deficit they can then stuff with pie or cupcakes. Even more shockingly, some of us even enjoy rich, high-calorie food without mentally calculating how many miles we have to run to "atone" for it. A world in which I need permission from my training log to have pizza for dinner is not any kind of world I want to live in.

In celebration of this fact, I'm joining my friend Katt in her New Year's resolution to eat everything on the 2012 7x7 100 Things to Eat [in San Francisco] Before You Die list (and not running a single extra mile because of it). Several other friends are already on board, so I foresee an even more spectacularly tasty year than usual. :)

The List:

  1. Salt cod fried rice at Mission Chinese Food.
  2. Roasted chicken & bread salad at Zuni Cafe - Done and DONE! Absolutely divine -- you *must* try it.
  3. Dry-fried chicken wings at San Tung
  4. Carnitas taco at La Taqueria
  5. Chasu ramen at Katana-Ya
  6. Custard French toast at Nopa.
  7. Morning Bun at Tartine Bakery - Good, but I must question -- out of everything they have to offer at Tartine, why the morning bun? It's kind of dry & stiff & gummy & gets all stuck in your teeth. I'll take a croissant or a slice of tea cake any day of the week.
  8. Cellophane noddles with crab at The Slanted Door
  9. Eggs In Jail at Outerlands
  10. Kelvin-made ice cream at Smitten
  11. Pork sugo with pappardelle at Delfina
  12. Porchetta sandwich at RoliRoti
  13. Soup dumplings at Kingdom of Dumpling
  14. Warm egg salad sandwich at Il Cane Rosso
  15. Any seasonal flavor at Scream Sorbet
  16. Katsu curry at Muracci's Japanese Curry & Grill
  17. Pizza margherita at Pizzaria Delfina - potentially the best pizza margherita I've ever had.
  18. The $24 prix fixe at Cotogna
  19. Benwaffles at Bar Jules
  20. Salumi misti plate at Perbacco
  21. Tonkotsu ramen at Izakaya Sozai
  22. Vietnamese roasted pork sandwich at Saigon
  23. Duck and sausage jambalaya at Boxing Room
  24. Loaf of bread straight out of the oven at Tartine Bakery - I've had it, say, an hour or two removed from the oven, but not straight out.
  25. Pistachio meatballs at Zare at Fly Trap
  26. Spicy baby octopus stew at La Ciccia
  27. Tuna tartare at Bix
  28. Clam chowder at Anchor Oyster Bar
  29. Amatriciana pizza at Ragazza
  30. Pupusas at Balompie Cafe
  31. Prime Rib at House of Prime Rib
  32. Pork belly bun at Chairman Bao Bun's truck
  33. The Little Star at Little Star Pizza - Love it!
  34. Argentine beef empanadas at Venga Empanadas - quite good, as I recall (though admittedly I'm not sure I'd put it in the top 100 food items in SF).
  35. Salted caramel ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery - fantastic!
  36. Soft garlic pretzels at Absinthe's bar
  37. Whole wheat pasta with hen & liver at Flour + Water - I've never had a pasta at F+W that I didn't like, so I'm excited about this one.
  38. Burger and fries at Spruce's bar - Haven't had the burger, but everything else at Spruce was FABULOUS.
  39. Egg custard tart at Golden Gate Bakery
  40. Pierna enchilada torta at La Torta Gorda
  41. Langos at Bar Tartine
  42. Maccaronara with ricotta salata at A16
  43. Nojo sundae at Nojo
  44. Beer sausage at Rosamunde Sausage Grill - again, pretty much everything at Rosamunde is amazing.
  45. Duck larb at Lers Ros Thai - Lers Ros is definitely where we take out-of-towners for the best Thai, but I haven't had this dish.
  46. Secret Breakfast at Humphry Slocombe
  47. Chips and salsa at Papalote - I've only had burritos here.
  48. Seafood chowder at Bar Crudo Update! Had this & wasn't super impressed. Not bad, but kind of one-note in my opinion.
  49. Ginger snaps at Miette
  50. Chicken soup with dumplings at Leopold's
  51. Pho ga at Turtle Tower
  52. Carnitas at Nopalito
  53. Tika masala burrito at Curry Up Now's truck - Don has this for lunch all the time because apparently the truck often parks right by his work. He raves about it but I have yet to try it (though the deconstructed samosa was uh-MA-zing) Update! OMG Jesus Christ. Go get it. Get it now.
  54. Koulgn Amann at Four Barrel
  55. A dozen Sweetwater oysters at Hog Island Oyster Co.
  56. Chicken porridge at Bush Street's Out the Door
  57. Sandwich No. 1 at Lucca Delicatessen
  58. Pork shoulder fried rice at Sai Jai Thai
  59. Hamburger at 4505 Meats - love their charcuterie, but have yet to try the burger.
  60. Huarache with cactus salad at El Huarache Loco
  61. Spaghettini with tuna heart at Incanto - I will eat anything, any time at Incanto.
  62. Dim sum at Ton Kiang
  63. Pozole at San Jalisco (Fridays)
  64. Sand dabs at Tadich Grill
  65. Cookies-and-cream cookie at Anthony's Cookies - out of this world!
  66. Paper masala dosa at Dosa
  67. Meatloaf sandwich at Fatted Calf
  68. Foccacia at Liguria Bakery
  69. Omakase menu at Kiss Update! This was really, really good, but I still maintain that nothing but *nothing* in terms of Japanese beats the pre fixe at Kappa, which is very close by.
  70. Calamari with chorizo and black rice at Contigo
  71. Fried green beans at Coco500
  72. Peanut brittle cookie at Mr. & Mrs. Miscellaneous
  73. Munsoned at Deli Board
  74. Faux shark's fin soup with black truffle custard at Benu - To be honest, I'm not sure I'm going to get to Benu this year...
  75. Super carne asada burrito at El Farolito
  76. Steak frites at L'Ardoise
  77. Fried chicken at Foreign Cinema
  78. Bone marrow at Alembic - I'm not big on bone marrow so this was kind of 'meh' for me.
  79. Crawfish beignets at Brenda's French Soul Food
  80. Potato latke with pickled beets at Baker & Banker
  81. Pickled egg at Comstock Saloon
  82. Breakfast eggs at Boulettes Larder
  83. Rice burger at Sandbox Bakery
  84. A cheese slice at Arinell Pizza - This is another that I'd have to say I'm not sure belongs on the list of top 100 food items in SF. I mean it's tasty, but it's a slice of cheese pizza.
  85. Sesame balls at Yank Sing
  86. Fried chicken sandwich at Marlowe
  87. Coconut buns from King's Bakery
  88. Malaysian curry laksa soup at Betelnut
  89. Korean taco at Namu's Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market stand
  90. Albondigas soup at Mijita
  91. Bacon-wrapped hot dog at a cart in the Mission
  92. Chicken liver on toast at Frances
  93. Seven flavors of beef at Pagolac
  94. Hawaiian Hangover cake at Bluestem Brasserie
  95. Deviled eggs at Park Tavern
  96. Ube ice cream at Mitchell's Ice Cream
  97. Green goddess salad at Prospect - To be honest I can't remember if I had this or not. I definitely had a salad there but I don't remember which one it was. To be safe I should probably just go back. ;)
  98. Chicken curry lunch special at Punjab Kabab House
  99. Fried chicken and waffles at Little Skillet
  100. Cracked Dungeness crab at Swan Oyster Depot.

This is serious business. Katt has figured out that we'll needs to hit 2-3 per week on average to make it happen, so there is a lot of work to be done. There may be a few pinch hitters due to allergies & geography (I've had Tamales Bay Oysters -- I don't need to drive an hour for Hog Island ones), but by God if we won't make a valiant effort.

Any of these you've already had? Any others we shouldn't miss?

6 comments:

  1. I was JUST looking at this list and thinking about doing something similar. So, y'know, if you need any help ... ;) It looks like I've got 20 down, so a good 80% of the list to go, no big.

    Friends have been raving about Outerlands and Brenda's for a while now, so I imagine those will be the next two I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.....Should I keep you updated on our outings? :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this sounds amazing! The only one I can speak about is number 4, the carnitas taco at La Taqueira -- that place is great!! A friend of mine knows food, raved about that place, and we finally went there. I was not disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The burritos are REALLY good! Never had the carnitas taco, though.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I only think I've been to 3 of those places above - Betelnut, House of Prime Rib, and Little Star Pizza. Impressive list!

    As for Harbaugh - that guy is the man. He just knows how to motivate people via positive coaching/constructive criticism. He is the reason Alex Smith did well this year, and almost the sole reason the team improved from 6-10 last year to 13-3 this year. Amazing. I was kind of bummed that Stanford lost him, but the fact he went to my other team worked out perfectly.

    Pretty much the only time I go to the napa region is on this weekend for wine tasting, so I guess I should have called my wine trip (Healdsburgh, Russian River/Alexander Valley instead). But I think that might confuse people not from CA, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good point. I guess to a lot of non-Bay Area folks all the wine country north of SF is "Napa." Yep, JH really did wonders for Alex Smith!

      Delete