Monday, August 15, 2011

Week In Review: Aug 7 - 13

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)



Sunday: 12 miles easy/moderate. Woo-hoo! It had been waaaaay too long since I'd gotten in a proper long run (thanks, life). Also, can we just talk about the fact that this is the farthest I've run since the Broken-est Half Marathon last October? I ran the first five or six fairly easy, then decided to see how far I could push the pace before I felt like it wasn't really an easy run anymore. It pleased me greatly to run the last 6-7 miles at about my PR half marathon pace (kind of outdated at this point, to be honest) with what felt like a pretty easy effort. Maybe there's something to all this 10K-as-half-marathon-training business. :)

Tuesday: 7 miles (2 warm up + 5 tempo) Realistically, I've been trying to use tempo runs as half-marathon practice. In order to run 1:40 in November, I need to maintain a 7:38 pace, so my goal is to get to the point where I can run ~7:30-35 per mile fairly comfortably for 6-7 miles. I know I'm not there yet, but lately it's been a little tough to tell for sure how close I am because SF has had a near-constant westerly wind going on for the last few months. As a result, running on the track means contending with a wicked headwind on the back stretch; at more or less the same effort level, my Garmin can show 7:26/mile on the tailwind side and 8:08/mile on the headwind side. Today I averaged 7:46/mile, which realistically means I'm probably running harder than I should be for a tempo run (and it felt like it).

Thursday: 9 miles (3 easy, 6 tempo) This was the day I ran with the Lululemon Run Club six mile group. Ack! This was supposed to be an easy day; due to circumstances mostly beyond my control, however, I ended up running those 6 miles faster on average than my Tuesday tempo run! While this was not the end of the world, it was definitely not what I'd planned to do. Next time I run with those folks, I'll either have to declare my intentions early-on to run at an easier pace or plan on a tempo run. On the plus side, no shin splint or Achilles trouble. On the downside, wicked sore hamstrings the next day. (I actually felt more sore than I usually do after a race.)

Friday: 6 miles easy. I'd planned on doing speed work today, but after that Lemon Club Run the day before, it just wasn't going to happen -- I really needed an easy day. Did an easy six mile loop in the 9:20/mile range, which was mostly okay except for a little bit of asthma (boo) and some shin splint pain. I've definitely noticed that my shin splints tend to show up a) when I run more slowly and b) when I'm functioning at less than 100%. When I run more slowly, I think my feet spend more time in contact with the ground, which means my legs spend more time supporting my weight (as opposed to when I'm moving faster and relying more on momentum). When I'm not completely fresh, I think my big muscles (hamstrings, glutes, core) aren't as good at stabilizing my body so I end up doing more of that with little muscles in my lower legs, which leads to pain.

Grand Total: 34 miles

Given how sore I still was after that Thursday run, and that I'd already met my goal of 30+ miles, I decided to spend Saturday recovering. I didn't get my speed intervals in this week, but since I essentially ran two tempo runs, I don't feel too badly about it. Shooting for another 30+ miles next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment