Monday, May 6, 2019

W2W Week 1 of 13: Training Cycle Reboot

Okay, universe....let's try this again.

To recap: I am definitely going to run an 8K in SF in a month, and I am definitely going to run Wharf 2 Wharf 6-miler in 2.5ish months. If I can manage to actually-for-real train between now and then, so much the better!

After a pretty packed and stressful late winter/early spring, my days have freed up a bit latelt, my weekend travel commitments have abated, and I have been in SUCH a better place psychologically now that there is more light and warmer weather and it's not pouring rain every day. A girl could actually-maybe enjoy getting a workout done in this?

This week my goal was just to ramp up the mileage a bit while still taking things easy pace-wise. Though, weirdly, my paces have been 30-60 seconds faster with the same level of effort? I have no explanation for it. I definitely haven't been trying to run faster, and trying to intentionally slow down to my typical easy pace has actually felt kind of uncomfortable. I am definitely, 100% breaking the rule of not doing easy runs any faster than two minutes per mile slower than marathon pace (it's been more like two minutes slower than 10K pace), but trying to slow down to ~10:00/mile just kind of....isn't working. Super bizarre. (Though, who knows--maybe once I start doing workouts, slowing down on easy days will be no problem!)

~*~*~ Wharf to Wharf: Week 1 of 13 ~*~*~

Grand Total: 43 miles, all easy

Monday 4/29: 6 easy

Tuesday 4/30: 10 easy

Wednesday 5/1: a.m. strength work / p.m. karate

Thursday 5/2: 6 easy

Friday 5/3: a.m. strength work / p.m. 10 easy

    I had another strength workout planned for Friday morning but then didn't really sleep between 1-4am, so there was no way I was getting up at 5:30am & driving 26 miles. Which was probably for the best, honestly, since I was still sore from Wednesday. #squats

Saturday 5/4: Rest.

    I actually had a little free time Saturday and part of me was definitely yelling "QUICK GO RUN WHILE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE, NO DAY BUT TODAAAAAAY!!" But considering that I've rarely run over 30 miles in any of the past few weeks, was already at 32 so far, and planned to do a double-digit run on Sunday, running rather than taking a rest day seemed ill-considered for week 1. Don't worry, hoss; plenty of time left to sabotage yourself before race day. {laughing/crying emoji}

Sunday 5/5: 11 easy

    For the first time in quite a while, my legs actually started to feel a bit fatigued toward the end of this run. What a novelty! Not that I have any desire right now to return to marathon-style 20+ long runs and 60+ mile weeks, but there was definitely a part of me going, "Ahhhhhhh, there it is!" I have to admit I've missed that feeling just a bit.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I'm going to try a couple of workouts this week, thoughts and prayers please!

No comments:

Post a Comment