Thursday, February 14, 2019

6 x mile @ 10K pace

Tuesday's track workout: 2 warm up, 6 x mile @ 10K pace (7:09) / 1:30 jog, 1.5 cool down

Guys, two things. 1) I was absolutely quaking in my boots about this workout for DAYS beforehand. I literally cannot remember the last time I did SIX mile repeats (possibly, never), and 2) I do not not NOT believe that 7:09 is my current 10K pace, even fresh & tapered. At first when I saw this workout, I was like, "RunCoach, you are smokin' some crack."

But then I put my recent 5K time into a (non-RunCoach) race pace predictor and guess what:


Ugh, fine, whatever.

Of course part of the problem, here, is that I ran that 5K on December 16 & then took, like, a month off from running. But when I entered that race into RunCoach it was all "CONGRATS U HAVE REACHED A NU LEVEL OF FITNESS, U WANT TO TRAIN HARDER, Y/N?" and of course at the time I was all "HELLZ YEAH I DO!!! BRING IT BITCH!"

And now of course here we are nearly two months later and it's getting brought-en and, guys, I just don't even know.

But I tried to remind myself as I geared up for this workout, "You ran a fast race, you were offered harder training, and you agreed to it, *knowing* it would be hard. YOU CAN DO THIS!!


Did I get through this workout at least in part thanks to cheers from a tiny potato?? MAYBE!!

As it turns out, I may not necessarily have been able to do that particular thing, exactly, but I WAS able to run a couple of too-fast miles followed by a few pretty-close-to-just-right miles followed by one reeeeeallllly slow can-I-just-walk-now mile.


Who has two thumbs & needs to work on their mile repeat pacing.

So, I mean, I guess, overall, it wasn't terrible?? Like, I averaged right around or slightly below the target pace for the first five repeats, which was pretty hard, thankyouverymuch, and then I gave it all I had for that sixth one when I reaaaaalllllly was questioning my ability to even finish it? At the very least, you can't tell me that wasn't a productive workout.

For feeling like I'm in not-particularly-great shape right now, I think I kind of have to be content with this one. (Though....this workout does not show up again in my Stow Lake Plan & I'm not mad about it.)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's a hard one. I'm usually scared of speed work that has you run X distance at X distance race pace - like you pretty much ran a 10k at 10k race pace. That's hard stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? I think that's part of what was scaring the crap out of me.

      Delete
  2. I think mile repeats are my least favorite workout. You crushed it, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete