Monday, November 27, 2017

STAND BACK: I'm going to try MICRO-BLOGGING

Seriously, guys. I've started about 10 posts since my last one and just never can seem to find the time to finish even one of them. I'll think, "Well this will just be a short catch-up post..." and then 20 paragraphs later I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

So. While I'm scraping the bottom of the free-time bucket, I'm going to try micro-blogging, wherein I sit down and complete a post & hit 'Publish' in 10 minutes or less. HERE WE GO!!

1) Running sucks lately. As of November 11, I was up to a solid ~50ish easy miles per week, feeling just fine. I ran 15 miles that day & felt great; on Monday I went out for an easy 8 & by 5 miles my calf muscles were a wreck. I definitely strained one of them pretty badly & limped most of the way home, then didn't run for a week. On Nov. 19, both legs felt fine, but when I went out for another easy 8, the same thing happened and I walked home the last 3 miles. I didn't run again until the Saturday after Thanksgiving, just 4 easy miles on a treadmill, and though I got through it, my calf muscles felt like I'd run 20 miles without training for it. They've been spasming & cramping during the night and honest to god I cannot figure out WHY. I had a massage, but that doesn't seem to have helped. Not the ideal way to kick off Boston training.

2) I spent this weekend in North Texas where my family lives, a good chunk of it going through boxes and boxes and boxes of treasures junk stuff that's been in my mom's out-building for years. Some of it since I left for college in 1999, some of it since I came back from college & left for grad school in California in 2004. Honestly, I can be the most sentimental of pack rats so I am pretty proud of myself for designating 9.5 of the 10 boxes for donation, recycling, or tossing altogether.


Ah, the pre-cell phone era....Some 4-6 years of notes passed in middle & high school.


That time I made Texas All-State Choir!


Baby Angela's first year running track!


Speaking of which, heyyyy I found some track medals! (Oh, and a gymnastic medal, apparently.) These are for the 400m & mile relay, I think. Back then 400m-800m was my jam.

10 minutes up.

What's new with you????

11 comments:

  1. I love all the throwback pics in the post, especially the track medals! They look so different than medals now. My running has been pretty sad the last few days too- I'm getting it done, but super sore and hurting. Hope you feel better before Boston training really kicks off (better now than later in training, right?).

    Amy Lauren
    www.thetinyterror.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think microblogging is a fantastic idea... I may jump on the bandwagon! I didn't know you were in the choir -- and All State, even! Hidden talents! Hope your calf starts behaving soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have an undergraduate degree in music composition! Though at this point it feels like another lifetime...

      Delete
  3. Your version of a microblog entry is roughly the length of most of my actual blog entries! I hope your calves feel better soon. I'm with you on that one except for me it's been a pulled left glute/hamstring... frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I think this means you are doing it right & I need to work on not posting novels for blog posts. ;-) Sending you good hamstring vibes!

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I should try this! I have the same problem -- can't find time to blog regularly because it takes me so damn long to write anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!! Pick literally anything that's not a massively controversial/complex topic & set a timer!!

      Delete
  5. I should also try microblogging, since mine has been hidden under dust bunnies for months. Cute track photo!
    And magnesium is my magic cure for leg cramps. I know it sounds like an old wives' tale, but I've tried a lot of things and daily magnesium seems to be the one thing that helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I'll try anything. It can't be worse!

      Delete