Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week In Review: Aug 21 - 27

Running ShoesThis is my weekly training journal. Including it in the blog gives me a little extra accountability in the mileage department & helps me stick to my schedule. :)

RACE WEEK!!

I cut back a good bit this week, partly due to the fact that I was racing Saturday, and partly due to the fact that I ran a pretty hard week last week and my body clearly needed a little time to recoup before knocking out another one like it. Still a pretty good week, though!

Monday: 6 easy. On Monday I was still undecided about what I was going to do when this week, so I figured I should at least do something so as not to fall too far behind in mileage. I ended up just busting through one of my usual neighborhood routes before karate.

Wednesday: 6 miles (2 warm up, 5 x 5:00 @ 5K pace = ~3.5, ~.5 cool down). This was a good, solid speed workout, and the main quality run I wanted to make sure to get in fairly early in the week. This is the first time I've done a full five 5-minute intervals in a while, and they felt easier (and less physically painful) than they ever have. On the other hand, my back and hip had stiffened up again after the 15 minute drive to karate, which, frankly, is something I really could've done without. :P

Thursday: 4.5 miles easy. This week was roga (running + yoga) at Lululemon Run Club. I wanted to get a few more easy miles in this week before the race and also figured yoga might help with the stiffness I've had in my hips and lower back this week, so I stopped by. The 4.5 mile group was quite content to run 9:00 - 9:30 miles, which was fine with me. For the first time since I've started going to these, people were actually social and *trying* to run together & chat! I met two guys from New York, both named Leonard, who'd never met until that night. The yoga really helped -- nothing like 45 minutes of hardcore stretching to get you loosened up. I felt SOOOO much better on Friday.

medalsSaturday: 7.7 miles (1.5 warm up + 6.2 race) Summer Breeze 10K! Although this was my 4th 10K this summer, it was my 1st since April that was basically flat, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect in terms of pace/time. I'd say running my fastest 10K in recent memory & coming in 1st in my age group / 3rd overall is hard to be disappointed with, though. :) Full race report coming soon.

Grand Total: 24.2 miles

Originally, I'd planned to race one more 10K this summer, but I'm pretty happy with where I am in that department, so I think it's probably smarter to use this month to start targeting training for the half in November rather than another 10K. (More detail about that to come as well.) Hoping I can get in another good 35-40 mile week next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment